• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Stupid question about today's crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A little luck never hurts either, having the tanks 4/5 full of Air turns the jet into a pontoon. Not that the crew did not do a great job, just lucky they were not on their way to PHX.

If they were ALPA pilots, the plane would not have crashed in the first place.

"What makes planes fly? ALPA pilots, son. ALPA pilots make planes fly!"

A little luck never hurts either, having the tanks 4/5 full of Air turns the jet into a pontoon. Not that the crew did not do a great job, just lucky they were not on their way to PHX.

Jet-A is lighter than water and would have the same effect. There would likely be a difference in total buoyancy, but the fuel did not make the airplane sink.

Remember, they used bladders filled with diesel to raise the big piece of steel from the Titanic.

Jet-A is lighter than water and would have the same effect. There would likely be a difference in total buoyancy, but the fuel did not make the airplane sink.

Remember, they used bladders filled with diesel to raise the big piece of steel from the Titanic.

No, the fuel did not make the plane sink. It sank when all the air was displaced from the fuel tanks.

They used diesel in the bladders because fluid cannot be compressed. If air had been used, it would have expanded to the point of bursting the bladder as it ascended.

The part about there being a difference in total buoyancy is accurate, there is a BIG difference.

No, the fuel did not make the plane sink. It sank when all the air was displaced from the fuel tanks.

They used diesel in the bladders because fluid cannot be compressed. If air had been used, it would have expanded to the point of bursting the bladder as it ascended.

The part about there being a difference in total buoyancy is accurate, there is a BIG difference.

Hey Freightdogfred...what's the cup size on your avatar? Seriously, don't just throw something out there if you don't know...because this is serious stuff!! But I kinda want to know...I'm thinking double G? I'm not sayin...I'm just sayin...

Latest resources

Back