Student Pilot Violates Solo Endorsement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
what abou this scenario:

properly endorsed student goes on solo xc. Decides not to get gas (as endorsed instructions specify) at one of the stops. Gets lost and starves fuel, crashes into a home and kills himself and the occupants.

Where does the CFI stand?

Sam Snead said:

He's outstanding in the field...(crooked smile)

Really, the CFI has no worries...legally. Especially if he made a specific reference to refuel within the x/c endorsement; however, even if he didn't do that, the training (61.93(e)(2)Use of aircraft performance charts) implies that you covered fuel consumption.

Actually, fuel consumption should be covered and documented in the pre-solo exam to prevent (and cya) fuel exaustion.

The bottom line is that the student shoulders reponsibility as PIC. Your responsibility is to train in accordance with student pilot regulations covered in 61.87 & 61.93. When you make those endorsements, you are saying he/she can do all those things as a PIC. The only difference in a student and a Private is that the student cannot carry passengers, and has to have a sign-off on PLANNING. You are saying he had it PLANNED correctly. If he looses it after that - it is on him.

I had a student whose solo wind limitations I refused to increase in the C152. As I am walking out to the Arrow with my commercial student (300+ hours) my C152 student said to me "I hope you crash". Needless to say he became so one else's student after that comment.

Wow.. was the kid like 12? How old do you have to be to say that???

Fly chick, did you go over and drop him like a sack of potatoes??? lol
What a tool, I'd have chased him off the ramp with whatever I was flying.

Back to the orig. question at hand. I had never let a student, after he was solo endorsed, fly without checking the logs in front of me, check weather in front of me, and filing a flight plan. EVERY TIME.
I was the quintessential a hole. "To Bad I say,,, it was my ticket they were flyin on and if they didn't want to learn to fly right,,, tough titty, find a push over instructor and we'll see ya in a smokin hole someday."
Believe it or not,,, with a wonderful attitude like that,,,, I never lost a student. lol.

OOOHHH,, one more thing,
Don't let one of the students "friends" hang around, just so they can show them what they are learning. It's a sure fire way to give their "friends" a ride on a student ticket. Students buddy snuck out on the ramp when nobody was looking and hopped in.
We saw it happen, the instructor waited till they were done with the run up and got clearance for take off and he called the tower and made him come back in.
Kid looked like he just got caught robbin a bank. lol

Sam Snead said:
what abou this scenario:

properly endorsed student goes on solo cross country. Decides not to get gas (as endorsed instructions specify) at one of the stops. Gets lost and starves fuel, crashes into a home and kills himself and the occupants.

Any time a student gets into an accident or has an incident the FAA will naturally look at the training. And you can bet a lawyer retained by the survivors will also.

But you can't get a good answer to your question without a =lot= more detail since the inquiry and the degree of CFI responsibility will be very fact-intensive.

The good news is that there is very little NTSB and civil case law holding a CFI responsible for a soloing student's actions. I've been looking for them and asking people to give me them since about 1999 and I've only found 2 solid references covering the past 37 years.

aLear31pilot said:
OOOHHH,, one more thing,
Don't let one of the students "friends" hang around, just so they can show them what they are learning. It's a sure fire way to give their "friends" a ride on a student ticket. Students buddy snuck out on the ramp when nobody was looking and hopped in.
We saw it happen, the instructor waited till they were done with the run up and got clearance for take off and he called the tower and made him come back in.
Kid looked like he just got caught robbin a bank. lol

What happened then? Hope ya lowered the boom on him.

It was actually a buddy of mine that was his instructor. He ripped azz on the kid for about 20 minutes on the ramp, pulled his log book and put big x's over any endorsements in red with a void on top of it. Maybe a little overboard, but the instructor was weeks away from starting a job for the regionals and didnt want this tool riding around on his ticket.

Latest resources

Back