Strike Vote Called For at NetJets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
fracstar said:
Am I wrong? That info came directly from one of your many disgruntled pilots, in fact that was the only good thing he had to say about your company. Do you not get 2 or 3 vacations per year based on time with company? Would each vacation cover a rotation of 7 on surrounded by 7 off on each end? 21 days? Maybe your "brotha" was wrong and my math bad. It doesn't really matter because the point is you work 182 on a 7-7. The point is if you want to compare your salary to mine or anyone elses make sure everything is even.

First of all, only half of our "crews" qualify for the 7 & 7. That actually equates to less than 50% of the pilots using the fuzzy logic that NetJets employs. So more than half of our pilots get WAY less time off than your equation.

Secondly, a 7 day vacation is just that. You don't get to add that time to other time normally off and count it as more vacation. 182 days on - 21 days vacation = 161 days on duty. Even factoring in vacation that's 13.4 days per month working. That's not 13.4 days hanging out at home waiting for the phone to ring. That's 13.4 days on the road putting in average 12 hour days.

I'm not saying that we work harder than others. We work harder than some and not as hard as others. I'm not saying that we don't have good schedules. I am saying that even with the trade-off of a set schedule, we deserve and DEMAND a much higher pay scale that we have now.

The demands put forward by the negotiating commitee are not unreasonable. It will not break this company. It will not force everyone else to take a pay cut. It will however, give the pilots a pay raise that will transform this company from a stepping stone job to a career.

It amuses me to see all the corporate and charter pilots on here talking down our efforts. For every reason in the book, you guys should be behind us 100%. If our salaries are to high, then you'll get more business because of our cost structure. Even if we pick the perfect mix for our salaries, it has to help every pilot in this industry come next salary negotiation time. The only thing I can think of is that a lot of the "pilots" that post on this board couldn't pony up a license if they tried.

One other thing. 21 days vacation only comes about after you complete 5 years here. That has to be completed prior to the vacation year starting. For most of us, we didn't see 21 days of vacation until we had almost 6 years total service.

17 times 12 equals 204. Subtract (2) five day vacation periods from that and it comes out to 194. Add an involuntary extension each month and 194 + 12 equals 206 days per year worked.

I would say Mr. Fracstard is way off on his math. Maybe he should keep his mouth shut if he doesn't have a clue what he is talking about. Now what were you talking about "comparing" again?

Sorry. My bad. You guys are way under paid. Why would you ever work for a crappy company like that. Good luck. Didn't think to highly of yourselves when interviewing?
Exactly. You got it dude...

Whooops you edited your post.

I liked the first one better.

Last edited:
Using netjets logic, if United were to go on strike, United (management) would have to try and make alternative arraingments for their pax. If United were to re-book their pax on American, the American pilots would be scabbing?????????

I think the IBT needs to try again with their attmept to change the definition of "still collecting all benefits". Just because they think it will help their cause, does not justify changing long standing positions to suit your needs.....the IBT must not have much faith in the netjets pilots unity.

As an aside, I have notified my company that I will not fly netjets trips if this situation arises. I feel I am in a position that my job may be spared and if I can help out some pilots...great, however.....you nj pilots should not be so arrogant to expect some pilots who make 2 or 3 times as much as you to lose their jobs for your cause. Many in the corporate world lost their jobs because you guys would do it for less.

NYR
Former base strike chairman for a former airline

PS. I contacted ALPA to get their take on this, it was the first they heard of the situation. I'll post a response when I get one.

PPS. I truly hope you NJA guys get a great contract.

Last edited:
NYRANGERS said:
Many in the corporate world lost their jobs because you guys would do it for less..

Mr Ranger,

Good post but I have a question about this statement.

Is this really true. Consider that no matter what the pilots are paid it is an insignificant part of the cost of Full Ownership or fractional ownership. I see what the charges are for the airplane I fly... Double triple or quadruple the pay and it does not seem to be a significant factor.

Isn't the truth that its not the pilot pay... but the cost of the fractional model vs full ownership for certain situations where a couple hundred hrs or less per yr are flown.

Cause if you fly more its less expensive to own your own... and if you fly significantly less its better to charter.

Presently we calculate pilot salaries are 3.5% of revenues. Doubling the salaries would mean pilot salaries are only 7% ot total revenues and would bring us in line with other pilots. I just do not see how our salaries low or high could have been the factor that shutdown flight depts or reduced staffing.

What do you think?

The math doesn't really figure in to the contempt out there...

Let me ask you how you'd feel if you were kicked out on the street by a company that went fractional knowing that the pilots now flying your company's people are making about 1/3 what you were making...???...

Latest resources

Back