• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Street Captains?????????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know this is flame bait, but my typing fingers are itchy and I can't resist.... Rule of thumb: if you hear that a place is hiring street captains, you missed the boat and the window either has or is about to close by the time you get hired. Plus, even if you do get that 'coveted' street captain spot, it usually means staying in the most junior, bend-over captain seniority (eg 2 days home a month if you a a junior manned reserve commuter) for years as FO's senior to you upgrade on top of you.

Last but not least, nowadays you are better off saying to h*ll with the meager turbine PIC you'd get there, which will still place you in a dime a dozen category in the U.S., and just rack up right seat glass time and take either a frac job (if they are still hiring) or an overseas job with stable carrier, most of whom do not require any turbine PIC time except for direct entry captains.

If you do go for the dubious prize, my advice is to bail for a better job, even a better right seat job, the instant you get an offer if your street captain slot gets downgraded to the right seat.

If/when the oil bubble bursts, things could change again (i..e the magic but currently worthless 1000 turbine PIC may be worth something again) as the flotsam from the current industry wreckage regenerates.

I'm an a$$hole! A-$-$ H-O-L-E!

Aaah. A Denis Leary classic!!!

I'm an a$$hole! A-$-$ H-O-L-E!

Aaah. A Denis Leary classic!!!

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER! Remember way back when, when the FCC shut down for a couple of days during the budget crisis in the 90s? A radio station in Houston played that song for hours at a time.

this from a guy who's post on another thread reads:

....I am honest about while many of y'all preach one thing and do another....Preaching about doing what is best for the profession while taking jobs at Gulfstream and Skybus is hypocritical.....

I will do what is best for me....So will everyone else...but some will do that and lecture others for doing the exact same thing...

See the difference.....

You know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna get myself a 1967 Cadillac Eldorado convertible, hot pink, with whale skin hubcaps and all leather cow interior and big brown baby seal eyes for headlights. Yeah! And I'm gonna drive around in that baby at 115 miles an hour, getting 1 mile per gallon, sucking down quarter pounder cheeseburgers from McDonald's in the old-fashioned non- biodegradable Styrofoam containers!

Now what was the chorus to that song again?

Even if I had eleventy three kajillion dollars, I'd be humiliated if the world heard me bragging about flouncing around with the latest "That's Hot" luggage. 20K watches? Wow.

I bet you can't ride on all the adult rides at Disney, can you? Then again, your wealth and toys are probably blinging a Swatch in a busted Civic.

Awe... do I detect a bit of anger towards my bragging about the money I have, and all my neat toys? Ugly, ain't it??

WELL... THAT'S THE SAME THING AS WHEN GUYS RUB THEIR NICE JOBS IN YOUR FACE AND CALL YOUR COMPANY AND YOUR FELLOW PILOTS SCUM OF THE EARTH BECAUSE IN MANY CASES THIS IS ALL THEY CAN GET!!!!

Like I said, most of us were hired and worked for the "Big" majors.. heck I was hired by American back when it was #1 and the job to go to... But for what ever reason, guys feel the need to come on these anonymous boards and rub it in that they're the lucky one's... well, payback is a bitch!

Awe... do I detect a bit of anger towards my bragging about the money I have, and all my neat toys? Ugly, ain't it??

It is hideous. And now I will play along...

I'm a scion of a family that owns a global company. Real money. Billions.

I don't want it, I don't need it, I love them anyway and they love me back. The toys are few, the homes alright, and the attitude isn't how much cash you brought along, but how you treat people. You'd never know it by hanging out with them (us), but it is there.*

Money doesn't impress me one whit. Ya see, there are lots of people out there that trade you some value-added time in return for cash money! All you have to do is show up and do something! It's everywhere! They practically are forced to PAY you money to WORK, and they're in every town on the map!!?! AMAZING.

yawn

I hope your compensation compensates for whatever it is you lack.

*That isn't totally true. The armed guards when the matriarch goes on a jaunt are a dead(ly) giveaway. Not bad for the daughter of a dirt farmer...

Last edited:
It is hideous. And now I will play along...

I'm a scion of a family that owns a global company. Real money. Billions.

I don't want it, I don't need it, I love them anyway and they love me back. The toys are few, the homes alright, and the attitude isn't how much cash you brought along, but how you treat people. You'd never know it by hanging out with them (us), but it is there.

Money doesn't impress me one whit. Ya see, there are lots of people out there that trade you some value-added time in return for cash money! All you have to do is show up and do something! It's everywhere! They practically are forced to PAY you money to WORK, and they're in every town on the map!!?! AMAZING.

yawn

I hope your compensation compensates for whatever it is you lack.

First, I made my own money, and I like it thanks... secondly you missed my entire point in bring it up in the first place... I got sick of the elitism from some about how low I was for working at Skybus, and how they're so much better.. If we're going to measure people by how good their jobs pay, let's take it up a step and just look at how well they've done in general?

Sorry you don't get my point, and sorry you hate your family's money... typical of those who've never had to make it on their own actually.

....I am honest about while many of y'all preach one thing and do another....Preaching about doing what is best for the profession while taking jobs at Gulfstream and Skybus is hypocritical.....

When, lately have I been preaching anything? I've long since given up on this God forsaken industry. With ALPA and APA sold out on Scope, it's over anyway... I'm going to get mine! Darn right! I"m not going to jump on any more grenades pal!

Also, Skybus didn't do ******************** to anyone... 5 airplanes flying in and out of PGD or PSM to CMH weren't even a factor.. ASA and Comair now, they've grown by about the same amount as DAL's mainline has shrunk!

Sorry you don't get my point, and sorry you hate your family's money... typical of those who've never had to make it on their own actually.

Missed it by a country mile. I could very easily ride a gravy train with biscuit wheels, but I won't-- and they wouldn't be too proud.

We ALL have to make it on our own, as a matter of fact. Heck, my dad is on his 2nd career, my mom still works, and they're both over 60. Why? Because we have to CHOOSE to. It's built in.

Good luck. Don't get too distraught.

edit: Like I said, if you think I'm BSing you, pm me your email and I'll forward pics of some of my toys, including $20K watches, Custom guitars, a Mercedes, a BMW, and a $8500 mountain bike but to name a few things.. I'm not trying to turn this into a show and tell, but you all seem to question my value as a result of my jobs.. Heck! I'll bet the set of luggage I just got to travel with costs more than some of your cars. If you want to question my value as a result of working at Skybus, fine.. so I'm going to see you and raise you.. what's YOUR net worth? ;)

Look Man,

I'm not all that impressed with your "New Money" toys. Although, I don't know that any luggage costs more than 55K. But OK. Anyways, I'm not trying to bust on you. I understand about having a job.

Since you asked..

My "net worth" ? its been around longer than your "net worth" Lets say that.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back