Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Strange Request! Need airplane with ADF!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just curious. Why would you need dual w/ an ADF? Furthermore, if you DID want such practice, why would you be worried about the condition of the aircraft? The only thing I can imagine is you're really into retro aviation or you're getting ready to do something really stupid - like go fly some POS 1940s airplane on napkin-designed approaches into pseudo-improved jungle strips in some far-off land.

I haven't flown an NDB hold or approach in close to 3 years and I'm beyond rusty. I'm worried about the condition because I don't want to get into some questionable rat trip that's waiting to fall outta the sky. There is some real POS planes in my area of FL and you couldn't pay me enough to get into them.

You could also bone up on your Cel Nav

IBNA8VR
I would be careful of what you say. Last time I went in for my 121 PC the instructor gave me 2 NDB’s. We need to be proficient in them because flying into Canada an NDB approach maybe your only option. Sorry shiny jet kids no vectors to the ILS in all Canada airports. You need to know how to do them to be a true professional. There have been several new hire pilots that have been fired partly because they do not know how to fly an NDB approach and the Airlines do not want to burn expensive sim time training you.

If you really need to fly it in the airplane (not an FTD) then any G1000 equipped aircraft should meet your needs, especially if an RMI will suffice. The Garmin Glass has 2 RMIs.

I find find a fixed card ADF to be a hell of a lot more fun than that though. Good luck in the hunt.

The potential future aircraft has an RMI, but I feel if I can master a fixed card compass the RMI will be a breeze. I want to have it mastered in an old 6 pack rather than use the G1000, but if the G1000 has dual RMI then I'm set I suppose. I can't believe I didn't remember that is has one.

Alright it's settled thanks guys found one an pretty much only NDB approach and its only 15 mins from my airport looks like I will use a G1000 172 for the training. Thanks for all the help.

If you've never done an NDB with an RMI, I would practice it in the sim first, many many times until you are comfortable. Don't make the the mistake of going up in the actual airplane to do it for the first time.

NDB approaches using RMIs are easy, but do it on the sim first. In fact I would skip actual flying altogether unless all you'll be doing is NDB approaches with this potential airplane.

Last edited:
It's very warm this time of year I'm new to this area so it's taking a considerably large amount of adult beverages to keep my cool. I may or may not try the MS Flight Sim. I think it would be a bit too much to try and run on my laptop.

Shoot, man, it would cost less to buy a new desktop computer with monitor to run MS Flight Simulator than it would to rent an airplane for a few hours learning NDB work. Also there are plenty of other NAV simulators you can buy that would run on a laptop. Plus you could sell the computer when you're done.

Oops, looks like this was over a week ago, so you're probably already done.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back