STOP ALPA Baseball Cap on EBay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PCL 128,

Yeah, I'm playing into managements hands. Get a clue.

His salary is from the Department of Labor. It's total compensation. You're probably pissed at what management makes, as am I. But I'm also pissed that the ALPA national officers make what they make while newhires make what they make. ALPA officers should make whatever they made at their repective airlines plus housing and meals. Keeping drinking the ALPA coolaid. ALPA is a business and you and I finance it.

Rez,

I got one reason why the are better than ALPA. ALPA's treatment and lack of representation of the TWA pilots during the TWA/AA merger. They, and all ALPA members, should have moved mountains to make sure what happened to us wouldn't happen. But I guess thinking that a union should be unified and take care of all it's members makes me street educated.

ALPA is about cash just like all the airline CEO's.

Have you written, presented, and passed a resolution at the Local, and MEC levels to be brought forth at the National level to bring about change?

Yeah, I'm playing into managements hands. Get a clue.

Fighting amongts ourselves?

His salary is from the Department of Labor.

The DOL under the Bush admin has changed union finance reporting requirements, now costing union members thousands of extra dollars and manpower to comply with the rules.

It's total compensation. You're probably pissed at what management makes, as am I.

Focus on the issue!

But I'm also pissed that the ALPA national officers make what they make while newhires make what they make. ALPA officers should make whatever they made at their repective airlines plus housing and meals.

There are four ALPA national Officers. The prez makes more because he is the 24/7 go to guy. Why would a guy leave 15+ days off to work basically 24/7. There has to be some incentive. Keep in mind the average ALPA member doesn't understand how to be a union president. So the candidates are slim.

The other three make what they can holding the line plus expenses to live in one of the most expensive real estate area's.

Keeping drinking the ALPA coolaid. ALPA is a business and you and I finance it.

Well ALPA does sell union services to in house unions. They used to not charge the APA. What would the APA, IPA, NPA and SWAPA do if they couldn't use ALPA E&FA services?

Kool Aid...? I call it the facts. If being informed and understanding how things work is drinking the kool-aid then so be it.

Rez,

I got one reason why the are better than ALPA. ALPA's treatment and lack of representation of the TWA pilots during the TWA/AA merger.

Again...more street education. It seems you are the type of guy that develops opinions then massages the facts to fit your perception. try it the other way.... form no perception...get informed. Then decide.

They, and all ALPA members, should have moved mountains to make sure what happened to us wouldn't happen. But I guess thinking that a union should be unified and take care of all it's members makes me street educated.

Recall AMR and TWA was not a merger. The lawsuit is against AMR, APA and ALPA. So if you are going to trash ALPA then make sure you are objective.

ALPA is about cash just like all the airline CEO's.

No..I suspect that ALPA has done its typical weak job in gaining membership support. ALPA goes for the quick sell... the 30 min schpeal (sp) in new hire class.... "ALPA is great, ALPA will protect you, ALPA will get you a raise, upgrade YOU quicker"... Its like a snake oil salesman job. The problem is, guys get out to the line after Indoc and wait for ALPA to serve them. They believe that ALPA is their personal career valet. And when those expectations aren't met they think ALPA is [insert pkober opinion here].

Have you written, presented, and passed a resolution at the Local, and MEC levels to be brought forth at the National level to bring about change?

This is the way it works. See my post above. ALPA conditions its members to be served. Not to serve. ALPA doesn't do this intentionally, but they've got old school programs that need to be updated.

To pass a resolution on has to be politically savvy. Many pilots reject politics and its methods. Often if a pilot does draft a resolution, the wording is weak, doesn't account for others needs and can be quite impractical.

For example...

A pilot brings a resolution to an LEC meeting that says "We should all Stay at Hampton Inns". Usually the rez o. lewshun (oops :rolleyes: ) isn't shared with others before hand or only with pilots in the same political camp. The doc isn't discussed with the LEC leadership or the hotel committee.

So the pilot shows up determined with doc in hand. (some pilots have shown up with a verbal resolution). He gets it added to the late agenda items because he never contacted the S/T. Now, no one has seen this idea before and they must consider it all within a couple of hours. If it is complex or has serious implications it will probably be tabled or reject: author didn't politic the doc or do his/her homework.

So it hits the floor and someone says... 'Hampton Inn? Are you kidding we should be staying at Hyatts!' And someone else says "there are no Hyatts or Hampton Inns in K___ airport'. Next thing the pilot knows the doc has created more questions than solved problems. Because he didn't politic the legilation first. In addition one must be willing to compromise!

Now.... that is a slice of reality of representing pilots. It isn't easy. It isn't black and white. And when one has the repsonsibility of representing hundreds or thousands of pilots...all whom have thier own idea about what ALPA should do for them, it makes the ungrateful and under appreciative tasks of union work undesirable....

Now who wants to do what?

This is the way it works. See my post above. ALPA conditions its members to be served. Not to serve. ALPA doesn't do this intentionally, but they've got old school programs that need to be updated.

To pass a resolution on has to be politically savvy. Many pilots reject politics and its methods. Often if a pilot does draft a resolution, the wording is weak, doesn't account for others needs and can be quite impractical.

For example...

A pilot brings a resolution to an LEC meeting that says "We should all Stay at Hampton Inns". Usually the rez o. lewshun (oops :rolleyes: ) isn't shared with others before hand or only with pilots in the same political camp. The doc isn't discussed with the LEC leadership or the hotel committee.

So the pilot shows up determined with doc in hand. (some pilots have shown up with a verbal resolution). He gets it added to the late agenda items because he never contacted the S/T. Now, no one has seen this idea before and they must consider it all within a couple of hours. If it is complex or has serious implications it will probably be tabled or reject: author didn't politic the doc or do his/her homework.

So it hits the floor and someone says... 'Hampton Inn? Are you kidding we should be staying at Hyatts!' And someone else says "there are no Hyatts or Hampton Inns in K___ airport'. Next thing the pilot knows the doc has created more questions than solved problems. Because he didn't politic the legilation first. In addition one must be willing to compromise!

Now.... that is a slice of reality of representing pilots. It isn't easy. It isn't black and white. And when one has the repsonsibility of representing hundreds or thousands of pilots...all whom have thier own idea about what ALPA should do for them, it makes the ungrateful and under appreciative tasks of union work undesirable....

Now who wants to do what?

Exactly.

And your post brings a few problems with the membership to light:

1. Apathy -- most guys bitch about it, but want "someone else" to do all the work for them or expect the change to just come about by their bitching. Simply put, the majority of the membership is just too damn lazy.

2. Poor Knowledge of Union Workings -- Many people do not know how to draft a resolution that has the capability of being sound and passing. Too many people allow emotion to spill in to their drafts and therefore lose the "reason" behind the need for change. This is something that is being worked on behind the scenes at my carrier -- educating the membership about how to "utilize" the framework of the union to our collective advantage.

3. Lack of Resolve -- I have watched a resolution be brought forth that had one thing that killed it. That single facet could have been changed and the resolution most likely would have passed at all levels. The pilot(s) who brought it forth lost "steam" when the first one was rejected. See 1 & 2 above.

I, along with several others, are working to see the ALPA works the way it is supposed to. There are MANY things that need to be fixed. Simply complaining about them (not you Rez) does nothing. Getting involved, even if it is just to "fix" the problems does.

If it said P.H.U.C.K. ALPA I'd bid on it!

Hay Mr. Spud can you get one of those made in Korea.
2 if I can get one that fits my 'old' German Shepard dog........;)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back