Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Still think we're better off without ALPA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ALPA is inefficient and listless, but I DO think that B6 is in need of a union, without doubt. Just not that broken excuse of a union.

Seems to be working for Alaska, Hawaiian, FEDEX, and Delta. Define inefficient? and listless? You're going to have to come up with something other than raw emotion from a failed bankrupt airline, or broke feeder operation.

JetBlue pilots pay TWICE what our ALPA represented "colleagues" pay at the other majors.

It's no fantasy. It's quite real. And a CBA would have our negotiated premiums included in it so that they could not be changed every year.

Right now, I have no idea what JetBlue will do to my premiums every year. Indeed, they can do anything, including canceling the entire plan.

How exactly is that better than a CBA? And whose butt should I be kissing? I think a swift kick to the groin would be more appropriate.

You do realize 90+% work without a CBA in this country and somehow survive? Welcome to the REAL world. ALPA still lives in some lulu land where the "market" was set by 70 years of government subsidization.

You do realize the total premium isn't set by jetBlue? They subsidize the total premium that an insurer gives to them. You think jetBlue magically creates a premium out of air to spite the (insert workgroup here)? I'd bet also jetBlue negotiates and is out into New York insurance rates, but hey something simple like that must not cross your one track mind.

So what is it? Inept management who can cost out health plans and screw the pilot group over? If they're inept how do they get one over in the pilot group? The bean counters can give two shiites what the pilot group thinks or any group. They're directed from senior management to cut 10%, that's it. It's that simple. If you own jetBlue stock look in the mirror, it's those who clamor for higher returns driving this in addition to a corporate mentality of cost cutting (this has nothing to do with airlines but more to do with corporate mentalities all around).

If you think management is screwing you over without a union, it's laughable to think your situation would improve adding some other giant entity as a "middle man". Like any other large organization they will take their cut and you get screwed. You get a CBA wow! Guess what, look at the threads here, those things get broken EVERY day and arent worth the paper their written on.

Save your two percent.

Seems to be working for Alaska, Hawaiian, FEDEX, and Delta. Define inefficient? and listless? You're going to have to come up with something other than raw emotion from a failed bankrupt airline, or broke feeder operation.

Bankruptcy does a wonder for the majority of the carriers you list. The other actually charges the proper amount for their product and makes boatloads of cash unlike passenger airlines.

You do realize 90+% work without a CBA in this country and somehow survive? Welcome to the REAL world.

So because 90% work without the protections of a CBA, I should too? Huh?

And jetBlue is self-insured, so they do set the premiums and the coverage. So yes, they tailor these rates to maximize the amount I have to pay.

And just look at what happened in BDL this weekend to judge how inept our management is.

You do realize 90+% work without a CBA in this country and somehow survive? Welcome to the REAL world. ALPA still lives in some lulu land where the "market" was set by 70 years of government subsidization.

You do realize the total premium isn't set by jetBlue? They subsidize the total premium that an insurer gives to them. You think jetBlue magically creates a premium out of air to spite the (insert workgroup here)? I'd bet also jetBlue negotiates and is out into New York insurance rates, but hey something simple like that must not cross your one track mind.

So what is it? Inept management who can cost out health plans and screw the pilot group over? If they're inept how do they get one over in the pilot group? The bean counters can give two shiites what the pilot group thinks or any group. They're directed from senior management to cut 10%, that's it. It's that simple. If you own jetBlue stock look in the mirror, it's those who clamor for higher returns driving this in addition to a corporate mentality of cost cutting (this has nothing to do with airlines but more to do with corporate mentalities all around).

If you think management is screwing you over without a union, it's laughable to think your situation would improve adding some other giant entity as a "middle man". Like any other large organization they will take their cut and you get screwed. You get a CBA wow! Guess what, look at the threads here, those things get broken EVERY day and arent worth the paper their written on.

Save your two percent.

Great Econ 101 diatribe, you get a C -. This is about money, pilots' share of revenue, the revenue they alone generate. Your capitalist model is missing the key ingredient, which is pilots. No bucks, no Buck Rogers. Did you hear that? It's your TA telling you to resubmit your extra credit assignment to improve your grade.........

So because 90% work without the protections of a CBA, I should too? Huh?

And jetBlue is self-insured, so they do set the premiums and the coverage. So yes, they tailor these rates to maximize the amount I have to pay.

And just look at what happened in BDL this weekend to judge how inept our management is.

I see you don't know what self insured means.

Did you know jetBlue wasn't an ALPA shop when you went there? Management put a gun to your head?

Last edited:
Great Econ 101 diatribe, you get a C -. This is about money, pilots' share of revenue, the revenue they alone generate. Your capitalist model is missing the key ingredient, which is pilots. No bucks, no Buck Rogers. Did you hear that? It's your TA telling you to resubmit your extra credit assignment to improve your grade.........

Oh yes cause ALPA has had its shares of wins in terms of getting that revenue. The only revenue they guarantee getting is 2% of yours.

All the power to you, if you think ALPA is your meal ticket go for it.

Did you know jetBlue wasn't an ALPA shop when you went there? Management put a gun to your head?

Oh the humanity. Did you apply here? Because you have the talking points memorized already.

Yes I knew JetBlue was non-union when I was hired. I also knew what they paid.

I found out the first day of indoc that my prescriptions costs were increasing four-fold from my regional. I have discovered over the last 5 years how well my concerns are addressed. How my committees that are supposed to replace a union have no seat at the table, no voice, no power.

So what am I supposed to do? Vote no because you think I should? Vote no because of you getting furloughed? I'm sorry that happened to you, but it has nothing to do with us securing a CBA.

Come work here for a few years....then we'll talk.

Save your two percent.

Actually you are wrong. Jetblue does set the premiums. The benefits of self-insured are more company biased than employee. Under self-funded plans, the employer decides what benefits are offered, determines whether claims are appropriate, and processes and pays claims. Provided it complies with certain federal regs and with the improved cash flow of the plan it can set the premiums or subsidize them further. Though Jetblue limits our access to plan literature and data the 33% increases we are subject to this year alone indicates a significant lack of subsidy.
Under a CBA the issues above are negotiated and not simply passed on to the employee.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back