Steve Fossett

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Freight Dog

This guy looks as if he finally made it! He's got only like 1200 miles left to complete it.

The guy's amazing!

Commie News Network (aka CNN) said he was shooting for a dawn, July 4th landing, kind cool I hope he times it just right!

TMMT

Mr. Fossett is far from amazing. Only deep pockets and lots of people around him that know what they are doing, he only gets the credit.

Chairman said:
Mr. Fossett is far from amazing. Only deep pockets and lots of people around him that know what they are doing, he only gets the credit.

Well of course it takes deep pockets..I cant see some homeless person doing this alone, with toilet paper and newspaper , assembled with paper mache and piss. Besides, your same argument could be used for Rutan and Yeager..But would you say it about them? Most every achievement is a team effort, but he is the one whose life is on the line up there, and initiated the the effort.

And yeah he is wealthy..but he did it himself. He does a lot of things like this, but is able to put a lot of his own money into it. He plans to fly a glider next month up around 60,000 ft.

He actually used to work at the same Scout Ranch in New Mexico I did (and so did Rumsfeld), and he puts a lot of time and money into Scouting still, which is certain better than stupid celebrities that sink money into the most inane causes.

George Carlin said it best when he said what kind of moron would want to float around the world in a balloon. How about rowing around the world in a canoe. That would be a lot harder.

These days all it takes is money and perseverance to break a record. In the old days it took balls of steel.

For example the italian dude that took an unpressurized biplane to FL480 in the 1930s and the first guy to jump out of a plane with a parachute. These were records that not only required guts but also advanced aviation technology to new levels. I dont see what floating around the world in a balloon accomplishes other than padding the ego of a rich boy.

Commie News Network (aka CNN) said he was shooting for a dawn, July 4th landing, kind cool I hope he times it just right!

That's funny, Capitalist News Network (aka CNN) said the same thing.

I'm also under the "Don't give a rat's ass" column.

I'm sure there are far better uses for all the money he's spent in "only" 6 attempts. Lindbergh got one try....now HE was amazing.

Anaconda said:
chalk me up as one of the people that could care less...

Really, not me..chalk me up as some who couldn't care less.;)

Latest resources

Back