Steenland on Today show

John Pennekamp

I'd rather be here...
Total Time
5:00pm
Doug Steenland said:
"That's simply wrong. Let's try and get our facts straight... [now redirect]"

Very nice. Typical management "answer a question with a question and redirect" when you don't like the question you were asked.

PCL_128

Total Time
5000+
NBC Newsb!tch said:
"Isn't this really a pilot problem?"

I really hate the media.

Dizel8

Douglas metal
Total Time
Huh?
The best part is where she asks him about the 1.4 billion in labor concessions while he got a 26.6 billion bonus.

Yeah, he sure wasn't liking that question.

Oh well, at least all the NWA pilots love him!

XJohXJ

Total Time
some
I thought she did a good job putting the screws to him, and she must have been effective, as he got pretty steamed at the end. I think any possible negative comments regarding pilots were so brief and so quickly forgotten by the hammering she gave him.

The overall impression after watching this segment is: Management = greedy and incompetent; Employees = trying their best and misused by greedy management. Don't get too upset just because a live segment wasn't exactly what you wanted it to be.

John Pennekamp

I'd rather be here...
Total Time
5:00pm
I really hate the media.
I zeroed in on that too, but I think she said that as an attempt to bait him. She later got him to admit it's not a pilot problem.

fly4ever

Total Time
enough
She said "26.6 million", he started talking over her at that point that's why it came out sounding like the "b" word.

He is as much a snake as Lorenzo or any of the other airline executives. What a filthy and corrupt business.

whymeworry?

Total Time
12000+
What an arrogant prick. He told a bold-faced lie on international television by saying, "we haven't blamed our pilots." Anybody who has been following this story would have read numerous statements from NW mgmt, and indeed Steenland himself, where they outright placed most, if not all, blame on the pilots.

Then he says his pay package of $26.5 mil is "wrong"?

Get your facts straight, Steenland. You are lying in front of millions.

If NWALPA had any balls, they would sue.

roadrunnerblue

Total Time
many
What an arrogant prick. He told a bold-faced lie on international television by saying, "we haven't blamed our pilots." Anybody who has been following this story would have read numerous statements from NW mgmt, and indeed Steenland himself, where they outright placed most, if not all, blame on the pilots.

Then he says his pay package of $26.5 mil is "wrong"?

Get your facts straight, Steenland. You are lying in front of millions.

If NWALPA had any balls, they would sue.

If ALPA and its member pilots really had any balls they would massively strike and do time in jail if they had to for not obeying the "go back to work" order following the strike.

It is high time we paralize the entire airline industry for all the incompetence and grand scale embezzlement schemes of its CEO's and the abrogated pension obligations, the massively cut pay scales etc. etc.

capt. megadeth

Metal Momma!
Total Time
>4999
I wish she would have pressed him more on the pay issue cuz the mother fer was lying through his teeth.

Frank Lorenzo

He is as much a snake as Lorenzo or any of the other airline executives. What a filthy and corrupt business.

I resemble that statement!

I felt sorry for Doug during the interview. When he shared his very sad story of how he was in the bottom 10% of Fortune 500 CEO's, I shed a tear.

No executive should have to scrape by on 26 million per year. What a cruel industry!

mesaba13

Total Time
5000+
I wish she would have asked him how his pay is justified when NWA is last in customer satisfaction!

Diesel-9

Total Time
Not defending him but his $26 mil is over 4 years. 6.5 a year bonus if he is on property. Annual salary just over $500,000.

PCL_128

Total Time
5000+
I zeroed in on that too, but I think she said that as an attempt to bait him. She later got him to admit it's not a pilot problem.

Yeah, I saw that later in the interview. I paused the video as soon as she said it and posted because it made me so mad. :) Guess she's actually on our side, though. Nice for once.