Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cl65capt

Just say NO
Hi, I'm currently a captain at one of the larger "regional" airlines, I'm in my sixth year. If you were in my position and had the option would you stay on or leave for Airtran? I'm not posting this as flame bait, I'm just curious what others think.
Thank you.

Leave for Air Tran. I have recently flown with Air Tran and I was impressed with their product - very nice 717s. I think the Air Tran model works well - just like Jet Blue and Southwest (although I hate Southwest's lack of seat assignments). Air Tran has just ordered something like 100+ 737-700s with winglets and 10 more 717s. You can expect some major growth going forward including numerous new routes to the West Coast (using the 700s). My impression of Air Tran's culture was one of optimisim and fun - the employees looked to be happy and optimistic...

I was impressed with the 717 too - nice cockpit and very fast on the takeoff... I say go for it! You can't go wrong with a growing airline (with a great model) using 717s and 737NGs...

I am 5TH year ( soon to be 6th ) year capt. at COEX and would most definately leave. I have been trying to get on their since April...

I have had a few friends in similar places, although they were looking to go to ATA. How would you quality of life change? AirTran would be an exciting place to work, continually growing, and everytime I jumpseat on them they always seem to be a happy bunch of campers. I really do think it comes back to how your life will be with AirTran opposed to where you are now. The short term, probably a pay cut, long term, you'll most likely end up with a better pension, and more money in the bank. No more worrying about flying shifting from one regional to another. Your would be living the dream of a major airline pilot. If you can deal with either commuting or moving to Hotlanta, I say Go For It!
Steve

Some of the Hardest Decision in Life usually turn out to be the most worthwhile

I have been thinking the same thing for some time and have been waiting for our contract to give me direction. But, that appears to be on hold so now I wonder as well if I should submit my info.

I personally think that Airtran is a great company that has prospered under the nose of Delta. Have to admit that is impressive.

For me if I leave it would have to be my last jump (I hope) since I'm 37 and time is not on my side. I think you could have a great career at Airtran and make a good living. Even at our top pay scales I could not make what a 5 year Captain at Airtran makes. I have two friends there who love the company and have encouraged me to apply.

I think that in order to work at Airtran and have the best quality of life would be to live within 2 hours of ATL .

If I had the golden 1000+ turbine PIC I would encourage you to at least apply to all the carriers that interest you and see what happens. I am currently not there yet (350 or so) so I am waiting till l get there.

I know I will get attacked for mentioning minimums given all the qualified people on the street. I just would not leave till you have at least the minimums that would get you on at SWA, etc. Good luck to you-

I've been with AirTran for 5 1/2 years and I really enjoy the job.

Management says steady growth of 20-25% for the next 4 years, new aircraft and routes keep coming (mini hub at DFW in the works). Pay currently tops out at $153 on the 717 and 737-700 , 737-800 (if we get any) will be $173/hr. I'm at $120/hr.

Decent trip/duty rigs and daily minimums add to each paycheck.

Quick upgrades, mine was just a few days over 2 years.

10.5% company paid B-fund.

F/O Reserve lines for December have between 11 and 17 days off, 12-13 typical. We do fly standups (on standup only lines) and they have between 12 and 21 days off, 13-15 typical. Regular lines have between 12 to 19 days off and avg pay for Dec is 84.11 hrs.

Reserves have a pretty crappy QOL in my opinion, rules need to be changed in the next contract, ammendable 04/05. The good thing is you shouldn't be on reserve for long.

When I started here in early '98, everyone was miserable. Things have certianly changed for the better however management could be a bit more employee friendly, hell Joe Leonard was Pres. of Eastern under Frank Lorenzo.

Overall a good place to be, very little bitching.

Wil-

Their min PIC Turbine requirement is only 500 hours 121...sounds like you're awfully close to me.

CL65Capt-

I say run, don't walk.

BTW, I have had my "golden time" for several years and have been applying for as long with an internal recommendation and have never once been contacted. It might not be as easy as some think it is to get an interview there.

Thanks for all your replies guys, I really appreciate it. Couple of questions for you current Airtran guys.
1. What is the current pay during training
2. Does the company put you up during training, if so where
and
3. When do health beni's kick in, 30days after the start of training for 30 after IOE?

Thanks agan!!

Pay during training is currently $39.50/hr at guarantee of 70 hrs. First year pay after 04/04 goes to $42.75/hr.

The company doesn't pay for lodging for training in ATL as it will be your domicile. Hotel, per diem and in most cases a rental car if training in out of domicile (MIA rarely).

I'm pretty sure that medical coverage starts after 30 days of employment but I'm not 100% on that. The company pays 50% of the total cost of medical insurance for 1st year guys and 60% after that.

Latest resources

Back