Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Status on AWA/USAirways Pilot Group Integration....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Heavy Set

Can anyone enlighten me on the status of integrating the two pilot groups? Have there been any preliminary decisions? I imagine it won't be date of hire given the aged USAirways group. I'm sure there will be some fences put up - I doubt the AWA guys will be flying to Europe in the A330 anytime soon...

Any initial agreements or ideas about integrating the two groups? Is it just me or do you think a % agreement (i.e., you are currently in the bottom 5% so you will be in the bottom 5% of the combined carrier) makes sense given the date of hire disparity?

It could be tricky, but I'd like to hear some thoughts on how they will sort it out...

If you want to see venemous animosity that people take with them to the grave, discuss seniority list integration in a merger or buyout. Man, have you opened a can of worms here...

The integration will follow the ALPA merger policy.

I have been involved in four mergers and this is another and there may in fact be more on the horizon.

There is no use getting worked up about it at this point. The PID or Policy Initiation Date, has not yet been set so the clock is not yet running, although it will start shortly. One the clock starts lists are swapped and other preliminary items are worked out.

The merger committees meet and pass openers and attempt to come to some agreement. If no agreement it can go to arbitration.

This is just a quick and dirty description and not entirely correct on all counts.

Both parties will adhere closely to the required process and procedure because more seniority integration may be on the horizon.

What I have learned about mergers is not to get involved in web board arguments involving seniority integration. It's a loosing proposition. We have committees to take care of this stuff and legal advisers and all that.

A woman contestant on Groucho's You bet your life.

Groucho: "Do you have any childeren?"
Woman: "Yes Groucho we have 13 children."
Groucho: "13 children, My goodness!"
Woman: "Yes Groucho I love my husband very much."
Groucho: "Well, I love my cigar, but I take it out of my mouth every once in a while."

The lists have already been exchanged, but as you said no PID as of yet. And Heavy, I am that 5% from bottom looking up and yes I do expect to still be in the same spot......of course expect or "hope" I should say, is the optertive word.

bafanguy said:
If you want to see venemous animosity that people take with them to the grave, discuss seniority list integration in a merger or buyout. Man, have you opened a can of worms here...

I agree, but with the merger commencing in the legal and financial sense, I still haven't heard much on what they intend to do with the pilot groups. Plus, what happens at AWA/USAirways could have a BIG IMPACT on what happens at other future mergers (like DAL/NWA or UAL/CO, etc.) - it could set a precedent for the future...

I can't see the AWA group agreeing to date-of-hire. That being the case, what other options seem more realistic? What will likely happen over the next 6-12 months?

Heavy Set said:
I agree, but with the merger commencing in the legal and financial sense, I still haven't heard much on what they intend to do with the pilot groups. Plus, what happens at AWA/USAirways could have a BIG IMPACT on what happens at other future mergers (like DAL/NWA or UAL/CO, etc.) - it could set a precedent for the future...

I can't see the AWA group agreeing to date-of-hire. That being the case, what other options seem more realistic? What will likely happen over the next 6-12 months?

Well, I guess I wasn't referring to the "science" involved in the process but more of the human reaction to it all. I was hired on the heels of a merger that happened in '72 and was there for two more in the ensuing 30 years. I've sat and listened to the parties involved give their reactions to the results of ALPA Merger Policy. A few facts emerge:

Policy or no policy, someone, in reality, gets screwed ( read "somebody's junior guys" here). Or, since there is no reality, only perception, someone feels he's been screwed. In both these cases, life long resentment and animosity are created. It's an unavoidable consequence of the process. That's what I was trying to say but didn't do very well...and still haven't.

Latest resources

Back