• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Starting a PT-6

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

I never thought about the issue of melting the cockpit side windows (on a BE20) when starting in feather and leaving it in feather for some extended period of time until one of the engineers (mechanics) mentioned it to me about a year ago during a test run. Seems logical I suppose, not sure why it didnt occur to me.

Anyone actually damaged the side window before?

I never thought about the issue of melting the cockpit side windows (on a BE20) when starting in feather and leaving it in feather for some extended period of time until one of the engineers (mechanics) mentioned it to me about a year ago during a test run. Seems logical I suppose, not sure why it didnt occur to me.

Anyone actually damaged the side window before?

I never damaged it but it got really hot when I did it on the B-350

A lot less shaking if you start out of feather.

If your engine is properly mounted and the propeller ballanced, you shouldn't be having any shaking. You shouldn't be experiencing any in feather anyway, and regardless of the prop position, you've got to transition out of feather all the same...so the issue is pointless. You've got to go there regardless of the start position.

So far as the propeller itself, the engine doesn't know if it's turning or not; it's not attached. It's a free turbine engine, meaning the movement of the propeller with respect to rotation is strictly function of exhaust gas. In theory, you could hold on to that propeller during the engine start and prevent it from turning at all, though in reality the torque would toss you and likely hurt you, too. Point is, the exhaust gasses from the gas turbine generator (Ng) are turning that prop, after the engine is done with the gas flow...nothing mechanical between the engine and the prop but the case...and the oil.

There used to be a video of some guy holding a prop during start. I tried to youtube it but just can't find. Pretty cool video.

I start the KA in Feather all the time. For a variety of reasons. One of them is since I fly it single pilot and have a bunch of stuff to do in the cockpit after engine start this reduces my chances of the plane rolling forward while I'm setting up the cockpit.

Also during the winter this prevents a unanticipated slide on a slick ramp.

I start the KA in Feather all the time. For a variety of reasons. One of them is since I fly it single pilot and have a bunch of stuff to do in the cockpit after engine start this reduces my chances of the plane rolling forward while I'm setting up the cockpit.

Thank you Diesel. I tried to tell this to a DO and a DOM a few years back. They suck anyway. I say start in feather, if only for the "oops I forgot the brakes" issue. My pax liked it better also.

Latest resources

Back