• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Starting a PT-6

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would eliminate this statement, though...
Regardless of propeller lever position, the propellers WILL go to feather upon shutdown, as they are spring-driven that direction, and the loss of oil pressure will allow the springs to do their things.

Fly safe!

David

Very True. No oil = Feather...regardless of prop lever position.

The checklist does call for the prop levers to be placed below the feather detent on shutdown.

Again...this is true of the prehistoric A90 I've flown. King Air's manfactured post WWII may have other procedures

Hey Avbug, I got another good reason to always start in feather. At least in an Ag airplane. If you don't have the prop in feather, when you get out to get your coffee, map or whatever, the airplane might decide to come out of feather and wander off. Can be kind of humorous when it happens to the other guy. Seriously though, good explanations as usual.

Hey Avbug, I got another good reason to always start in feather. At least in an Ag airplane. If you don't have the prop in feather, when you get out to get your coffee, map or whatever, the airplane might decide to come out of feather and wander off.

True story. Having climbed out of piston ag airplanes to load, fuel clear a nozzle, take a leak...being able to do so in a featherable turbine airplane is like a guilty pleasure.

Being able to feather on the ramp when loading means less noise, less confusion, less blast in the face for the person at the loading valve; it's nice. Same when loading skydivers or passengers or freight on and off an airplane.

Jeez, just put the PCL in the start range (when the start light comes on) and then move the starter switch to auto/reset. 30 seconds later you have a started PT-6.

Jeez, just put the PCL in the start range (when the start light comes on) and then move the starter switch to auto/reset. 30 seconds later you have a started PT-6.

What are these things you speak of? PCL? start light? Must have been in one of those fancy people airplanes. I just lean in and hit the starter, when it sounds about right I turn on the sparkers and go full rich on the mixture or whatever they call it and then wait a while till its runnin. Works almost every time.

Most PT6 installations aren't stared like that, of course...

Yeah, I was just kidding around. That is how the start on the T-6 Texan II goes. It's all automatic and guards against the "start brothers": Hot, Hung, and No. The PCL is the power condition lever or something like that, kind of like a fadec.

I think that it is the PMU or Power Management Unit that controls the start in the T-6. It is what acts like a FADEC not the PCL.

Blasphemy! Starting a T-6 involves a primer, mixture, throttle, wobble pump, and mags!

Latest resources

Back