• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spirit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What I heard a few weeks ago in recurrent is that...

4 airplanes are confirmed for delivery, 320's
1 in March
1 in April
1 in May
1 in the Fall (August or September)

By April, everyone who wants to be back will be back. New hires for May and the fall...this from P.O.

If they keep the 321's around this seem like it will be true, if the 321's leave the story changes.

FWIW

everyone back and hiring by May is a little optimistic (and i have no truck with being optimistic) I realize that some may not be coming back, but I think it will take all 4 aircraft to bring back the bulk of furloughees. 2011 may bring a new hire class.

Ran into the chief pilot a couple days ago, he did confirm that the company has plans to have everyone who wants to be back will be back this next year due to the new FAA rest requirements and also the 4 aircraft deliveries. This stuff at Spirit changes continuously, but he stated that was a fact as of now. I later had the opportunity to have an FAA inspector on my flight who confirmed that as well.
Rumor: 26 recalls in January, this came through a source from Miramar, however this is purely a rumor. Take it with a big grain of salt.

...I think it will take all 4 aircraft to bring back the bulk of furloughees...

I just telling you (all) what I heard from the DO's mouth, in person...and please believe me-->I am the last person to drink the poop flavored kool-aid that Spirit [mis]management craps out.

To summarize...as of July 2009, 4 new airplanes on property 2010. March, April, May and September, all who want to be back will be back by April...planning on hiring for the last two airplanes. He also said that "upstairs" wanted to furlough again this fall, but DO and CP refused since morale couldn't be much worse so they offered voluntary leaves to reduce a few people. But since we are at minimum reserve coverage, this makes people just as angry since they can't drop or float vacation most days this fall.

Rumor: 26 recalls in January, this came through a source from Miramar, however this is purely a rumor. Take it with a big grain of salt.

Any info is always appreciated. So I am not trying to put down anyone here just trying to decipher one rumor after the other.

I too have heard the 26, which was later changed to 32. The way I have heard it :confused:, these numbers were mentioned as the total number of recalls to fly the 4 new a/c. Recalls were going to be spread out over several months, starting effective March. That made sense to me. They would normally need 40-45 pilots to fly those 4 planes (since 1 will be a spare), but I am sure they will try to squeeze it with 32 just like they did this summer. Although the next recall will need longer training (4+ weeks incl OE), it makes little sense to recall 26 in January when the first plane will hit the line in March. Perhaps they will recall a few toward the end of January, I would guess between 8-14. Then another class the following month, etc.

The new FAA rules should result in more recalls. If say the new rules would decrease scheduling efficiency by 5% across the board (complete assumption here), most airlines would have everyone back on the property for summer. Some would be hiring. That would be a nice break for the industry. However it seems regional carriers will see drastic changes, while my feeling is that other carriers will be effected to a lesser degree. Spirit has a lot of night flying. But other than that, the rest of the schedule is very laid back. 1-3 legs are typical and I can't even recall a single layover where I was not legal for a few beer. So it is hard to say what will the new needs be after the new rules.

Well... at least as long the regionals get their people back, heck I might even have a chance to fly a Navaho to the Bahamas in case I don't get recalled... :rolleyes:

I agree with that huncowboy...I think Spirit will actually gain efficiency with the new rule changes (if the rumors of 12 hour max day are true), which might be a bad thing. They will LAX turns, maybe even squeeze in LIM for a turn.

I agree with that huncowboy...I think Spirit will actually gain efficiency with the new rule changes (if the rumors of 12 hour max day are true), which might be a bad thing. They will LAX turns, maybe even squeeze in LIM for a turn.

I have heard that the FAA has told some airlines they plan to reduce the flight time limit to 7 hours and 14 hour duty days max. That would prevent us from doing turns to many south american cities.

I would much rather them just give us a much lower max duty day and no limit on flight time. I get more fatigued sitting at the airport than flying.

Did you guys get a contract ?? Last time someone posted anything about Spirit you authorized a strike by 90 some percent, must have missed something.

I have heard that the FAA has told some airlines they plan to reduce the flight time limit to 7 hours and 14 hour duty days max. That would prevent us from doing turns to many south american cities.

I would much rather them just give us a much lower max duty day and no limit on flight time. I get more fatigued sitting at the airport than flying.

Why would you give anything? Why would you want to fly over 8 hours?
I can believe those arse kissers..
8 hours flying in one duty period is fine leave it as it is.
Only people who don't fly the line or Management wannabees will talk like that.
But don't worry, You'll get your no flight time limit, FAA is pro Corporate and will give something in return for reducing max duty time.
they'll Make sure they don't get in the way of big interests.
This country is just a huge banana republic...

Latest resources

Back