• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spirit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If ALPA was proposing a max duty time of 11 or maybe 12 hours...I would be more accepting of increasing flight time to 9 hours. But starting a day at 12:59 pm and working until 1:59 am with 4 legs and 9 hours of flight time is not much better than what we have now.

I say reduce all duty periods by 1 hour on the ALPA chart and eliminate the flight time limit. Then say you can't takeoff if you will exceed the duty time limit and you can't reduce the 10 hour rest requirement. That would make me happy =)

But starting a day at 12:59 pm and working until 1:59 am with 4 legs and 9 hours of flight time is not much better than what we have now.

11 or 12h for duty would be even better for sure. But following your example what we have now is: Start a day at 12:59PM and end it at 04:59AM with 8 hours scheduled flying. So I still think the ALPA proposal woudl be a huge improvement. Especially if the 9 hours can't be extended. But the email does not say that. Regardless. That ALPA proposal is not what we will be flying in 2 years. You bet it will be worse. It is almost fruitless to discuss it IMHO.

BTW why do they have to wait 2 years to implement this crap? That is BS too. That would actually create a lot of pilot jobs at many places. There is a real chance for Obama to create jobs... I know. I will take my pills now with beer. That should clear my head.

If ALPA was proposing a max duty time of 11 or maybe 12 hours...I would be more accepting of increasing flight time to 9 hours. But starting a day at 12:59 pm and working until 1:59 am with 4 legs and 9 hours of flight time is not much better than what we have now.

I say reduce all duty periods by 1 hour on the ALPA chart and eliminate the flight time limit. Then say you can't takeoff if you will exceed the duty time limit and you can't reduce the 10 hour rest requirement. That would make me happy =)

AMEN my friend, nice to see that there are still people out there with common sens, G you are even more restrictive than I would be.
Maybe because I have no faith in Alpa and the FAA, at this point I will be glad if it's stay the way it is. No kidding, you always have the option to call in fatigue. The Colgan guys were in their first leg, that is not going to change, unfortunately, you can't teach or regulate common sens. Some guys are still going to report not rested, with dirty shoes, wrinkle shirts, and the ever popular Farfrumpuken sticker on their flight bags. My point is you can't teach professionalism.
Unfortunately, I Believe, work rules are going to get worse before they get better, if ALPA is already proposing up to 9 hours block, imagine what the Airlines and the FAA are going to submit. Eventually they'll come to some kind of middle ground, lets say 10.5 hours, the government will gladly red stamp it, and it's going to be portrait, all over the news, as a milestone in safety and commune effort. Next Dwayne Worthless appointed secretary of transport, you watch.
Unfortunately, they all just want to show congress and the White house that they are doing something, if you really want to fix the max duty rule, reduce it from 16 to lets say 14 or 13 hours and that is it, it doesn't take a genius to figure that one out. Just like health care, reduce the price of health care and Px with more competition and less lobbyists and it'll be more affordable.
I am sorry for the rant, maybe my 20 years in this business made me so cynical.
Before I go, Guess who is going to get stuck, for the next decades with the idiotic work rules and irrational schedules? you've got it, "Yeah, Ding ding ding, we have a winner!!! "and it's a service men, just back from it's fifth tour of duty, who wins a Curtain rod"....

Well its going to be changed, you can count on that. And it's NOT gonna take 2 years either. This Babbit guy wants it in place fairly quick. He'll give them a year max. I say by next fall the new rules will be in place. Hopefully that'll create a lot of recalls come spring.

I think the 2 year comment was based on the fact that the airline members recommended 2 years. However, I think we will see the new rules much sooner than that.

So where's the November 3rd "Big Announcement" ...?

...anything?
How long until the next rumor of a big announcement?

The rumor was non specific, just like countless rumors that have come and gone, never having anything to do with reality.
The grapevine is alive and well, it just never bears fruit.

sorry you SPIRIT guys and gals are having to put up with this BS. We all just wanted a job flyin for a company that gave a crap. guess we all should have been in the crack buisiness . At least crack ************************* get a little lovin! good luck.

I didn't even know there was a rumor of an announcement. The only rumor I ever heard was that all recalls will be back in January, I hope that one is true.

Latest resources

Back