• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spirit updates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rumor is that JO (Mesa Air Group CEO) has bought into Spirit and is now in the board of directors. Can anybody confirm of debunk this rumor?

Rumor is that JO (Mesa Air Group CEO) has bought into Spirit and is now in the board of directors. Can anybody confirm of debunk this rumor?

Guess that means I'll be withdrawing my application to Spirit. I had an inside reference too, dang it.

Guess that means I'll be withdrawing my application to Spirit. I had an inside reference too, dang it.

Good idea, withdrawing your app. The way I hear it, Spirits pilot group is in shambles with LEC recalls everywhere, JO is coming in and they've cancelled their airplane orders for next year.

It's too bad, because they occupy the cellar of earnings and now it doesn't look like the pilot group has the cajones to change that.
:)

Calvin,

You hit the nail on the head. The DTW LEC is voting to recall a rep (an effective and responsible individual). This is being spearheaded by two former chairpersons who were removed from their positions due to incompetence. These individuals have convinced most of the uniformed in our ranks to join in on the recall.

The future of the Spirit pilots will hinge on unity among our ranks.

Last edited:
Calvin,

You hit the nail on the head. The DTW LEC is voting to recall a rep (an effective and responsible individual). This is being spearheaded by two former chairpersons who were removed from their positions due to incompetence. These individuals have convinced most of the uniformed in our ranks to join in on the recall.

The future of the Spirit pilots will hinge on unity among our ranks.

Clipper, the way I hear it, the Fort Lauderdale LEC is also involved in a recall. It's something about a bunch of former management pilots being upset about losing their cushy instructor positions after a new DO was hired.

I called a friend at Spirit and inquired about all of this, and was told that most Fort Lauderdale pilots are not supporting the recall.

Does anyone know if Spirit has a pilots website, or if any of these internet forums have a Spirit dedicated page?

why there is so much power in 1 ore 2 single individual.???

If you are speaking of the elected officials, they have the power because they WON an ELECTION.

I've never won a popular election, but if I had, I'd expect to be able to wield the power of the position.

Now, I've got to get back to one of the "how to get hired at FedEx or SWA" threads, good luck to my friends at Spirit.

October Class starts soon. 8 new hires from within, these were instructors hired last year and offered jobs when we started growth. And 8 New hires from off the street 2 weeks after the first 8 start. I think that is it for the hiring for the rest of the year. March is the target window for growth is what I hear, so new hires starting in Jan. I hear anywhere between 6-10 airplanes next year. 5 more between now and Dec.

As far as recalls are going. Well, the rank and file IE "ME" were getting wind that the current MEC was in bed with the company. From what I hear, recalls go on all the time at all the majors, so Its no big deal. All the negotiating committee is in place and they started the initial round 2 weeks ago. Of course the company put out a piece of crap offer, so let the games begin. Maybe this time we will negotiate a contract instead of having a gun to our head and forced to accept a concessionary contract again. Our last one took 4 months. Get real, we didnt even turn it down once!

The truth about Spirit

I am 100% for protecting flight crew jobs, getting what is fair, AND running a profitable airline. However, I neither support nor understand a group of people that cannot see the forrest through the trees. I am one of the Spirit rank and file; and I know first hand what has happened and what IS happening at the airline. The previous management pilots accomplished very little to grow and improve the airline, but feels compelled to create union discord. Spirit performs very well in some aspects, but also has many problems that if uncorrected, turns into big problems as the airline grows. The current managment team is rectifying those problems before implementing the planned growth. The short term growth plan for the airline and the overhaul of the flight ops training that has occured in the last five months has been just short of a miracle. Spirit is developing a training program (one of the previous problems) to rival any major airline and support the future.

We have the typical contract negotiating road ahead of us all. WE need to stick together as a brotherhood and fight for what is best for us ALL. The company is headed for GROWTH (benifit for us ALL). PAY and quality of life is the bottom line but in order to grow a little sacrifice may be needed. We should ALL participate and understand that the current leadership wants to be in place for a long time to increase our fleet (double by 2009) and increase our destinations (more coming in a month or two). The future is bright. Under the last leadership and past investors, stagnation was the future. The Spirit pilot group needs to stand together as a united front to ensure we get what is due (not be individuals focused on our own petty hurt feelings from past percieved wrongs) and keep in mind that we need to work WITH a leadership that has ALL our best interests in mind.

All of the previous instructors/check airmen who were "terminated" had the opportunity to re-apply for their positions. It's hard to generate a lot of sympathy for some of them- the training dept shakeout was over due.

Latest resources

Back