• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spirit or SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Unfortunately, answering your question requires the proverbial crystal ball. The final answer to your question will be determined to a large degree by luck.

However, there are a few things to consider about SWA:

1) Even after their fuel hedges go away, they still have the lowest system costs in the industry (CASM excluding fuel). AirTran, however, is very close to surpassing them on this measure. CASM excluding fuel does include SWA's "high" labor costs. SWA's well-developed route system, utilization rates, and employee productivity allow them to have low costs.

2) There are still many opportunities for SWA to grow in the domestic market.

3) SWA still has areas in which it can improve efficiency before it turns to to its employees for concessions. For example, from what I understand, SWA taxies it's aircraft on two engines. Money can be saved by turning to a single engine taxi procedure. I'm sure the SWA employees here can pipe in with other areas for improvement.

4) SWA is a major reason why domestic fares are currently being held down. As it's fuel hedges go away, expect domestic fares to begin to rise to counteract the removal of the hedges. As SWA's fuel costs rise, SWA's revenue will also likely rise.

5) Expect a possible buyout of or attempt to weaken/incapacitate AirTran in the coming years. I have heard from several sources that Gary Kelly considers AirTran to be SWA's greatest threat. If AirTran's is removed or made irrelevant as a competitor, this could have a major impact on the LCC side of the industry.

6) SWA will likely be the launch customer for the 737 follow-on aircraft. Boeing recently announced the initiation of its effort to produce this aircraft ( http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles/2006/02/07/Navigation/177/204506/THE+737+STORY+Smoke+and+mirrors+obscure+737+and+Airbus+A320+replacement.html ) nand estimates an initial delivery date in the 2012-15 timeframe. Herb Kelleher recently made a speech to Boeing that if Boeing could produce a 737 version of the 787 that SWA would buy several hundred of them. If SWA is able to become the initial operator of this aircraft and is able to secure the first batches of production, this could effectively give them an advantage similar to the fuel hedges for a period of time since the new aircraft will burn much less fuel than the 737NG.

GOOD LUCK!!

The bottom line?

Pilots that I have talked too that decided on SWA when everyone was hiring (and everyone else was making a lot more) reference the stability of the company. How are they in the good times and the bad. I don't know a lot about Spirit but how are they doing financially? They aren't bankrupt so that says something. How do they look going forward? Money, i think we make more. Benefits - we have one of the best 401K programs in the industry. Profit sharing - yes, we got it this year (and every year - haven't lost money in over thirty years). Yup, are fuel hedging is dwindling but we didn't always fuel hedge and we still made money - we find ways! Seniority? You have been hired early in the year when we are projected to hire 550. Even more retirements next year, and 10 percent growth goal every year. Growth and expansion will keep you in the 5 year upgrade range. Schedule? As an FO you will rapidly will be off reserve (within a couple of months).

Most of the people on this board know nothing about spirit but know a lot about SWA. I'm sure with a family it is tough to make a huge change, just make the right change for you and your circumstances.

Bottom line, you are in a great situation. You have a job when many people are on the streets with opportunity to fly for another great airline.

There are NO guarantees in life.

SWA has a enviable history, but competitive pressures being what they are...SWA will eventually have to pay rates comensurate to their competition. Effective pilot utilization can only cover just so much of the ever increasing gap between SWA's narrowbody pay and that of their competition.

If Baldanza succeeds, Spirit will have a nice little niche and you have seniority which equals QOL.

Of course, all bets are out the window if Airways (Cactus) buys Spirit as current rumors tend to indicate.

From the "buyout" standpoint alone, I'd take the job at SWA.

Either way congrats on the offer.

Quote from the training center whe you show up the first day..." Welcome the last and best airline job you will ever have." My opinion: SWA is not perfect but if things go bad in the industry we will be the last one to fail.

Benhuntn said:
Quote from the training center whe you show up the first day..." Welcome the last and best airline job you will ever have."

a quote borrowed from every day 1 at any major carrier

bubbers44 said:
You have obviously already made your decision. I think you are looking for reinforcement in taking the big step. I think you have gotten that so have a wonderful career.

Ditto. Something made you apply at another airline. Go with your instinct.

Except what I heard at my first day of training at Southwest..... "welcome to the only newhire pilot class in the World." (9/11 timeframe)

Well that wasn't exactly true either. FedEx hired 3 classes (49 pilots total) in October 2001.

FJ

PS: I still say go to SW!

Latest resources

Back