Spirit or SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
love2flyman said:
OK everyone, I need some help in making a decision. I am 36 years old, married with 3 kids, have been with Spirit for 6.5 years and I am currently flying Airbus 319 Captain (also have 737 type). I got hired by SWA. I have always wanted to work for SWA, but I am wondering if it is the best decision to leave Spirit as a Captain. Should I start over and make the jump to SWA the most stable airline out there or stay at Spirit, keep my senority and continue to fly as Captain? (I know I am very fortunate to be able to have a decision like this to make). Any helpful advice would be appreciated, this is a big decision to make. Thanks.

Why would you even bother applying and networ-King;), getting the monkey suit ready to interview, study, prepare, go interview and stress for a couple of month and then finally get the call for a job at SWA and then ponder this question? Obviously you've answered your own question by starting this whole process and you were motivated enough to do a great job at the interview..... so cut bait and get your new life at your new airline started. EVERY seniority number counts. Good luck....and remember... only on that last flight to your retirement will you look back and KNOW where and when you made the right choices. Nothing is for sure in this industry. Please just become a koolaid drinking butthead like SWAFO:D :D .... I kid I kid.

I wish I were in your shoes - I'd definitely go to SWA and not look back. You've won the LOTTO and a lot of people would take your SWA seat if you don't.

Let us know what you decide.

You have obviously already made your decision. I think you are looking for reinforcement in taking the big step. I think you have gotten that so have a wonderful career.

SWA is growing "a Spirit" this year with growth. I'll bump up a number by you moving so I have an interest in this question, however, you will be senior to me again at SWA once I get my crack at it.

Good luck with your decision. Nothing is guaranteed, but SWA seems like a pretty safe bet.

Although Southwest's employees have not felt the pain that the rest of the industry has, they may find themselves doing so in the future.

It is unfortunate, but we must ask ourself if Southwest can be competitive with payrates that exceed those at every other airline? (despite their legendary productivity) I would take an educated guess that they too will be faced with concessions in the not-to-distant future. Fuel prices are the wild card we all deal with.

NOT

Can Southwest continue to weather the storm? I'm not sure i'd be willing to bet my family's long-term financial security on it.

Frankly, i'd probably stay at Spirit. I might regret that decision in ten years. But if after going to SWA I took a paycut or was subsequently furloughed, i'd regret being out-of-work much, much more.

Can we weather the storm? YES. Furlough! you don't know much about Southwest Airlines.

Fuel hedgeing won't last forever for SWA but they know how to turn an airplane and make money better than anybody. I wish AA could figure that out.

Stay put... The honeymoon over there has to end sometime. Senority is gold right now. Get hired at the beginning of the hiring boom somewhere, not the end...

I have huge respect for Southwest. But I have to agree with a couple of the contributors here, in that nothing, not even SWA is a "sure thing". I read an article today while waiting for a shave and a haircut: "Delta retires 767 that employees bought". Told how in 1982 Delta was taking heat from investors because they increased employee pay, this after the first time in 36 years that they didn't post an annual profit. To help out the company a few employees got together and started a volunteer drive to buy a $30M 767 for the company. Well over %80 contributed.
My point here is that it sounds very SWA-like; family atmosphere, strong balance sheet, etc. Past performance, of course, is not indicative of future potential. It is a lesson worth noting however.

Go to Southwest. They have a very strong balance sheet and can endure quite a few stormy days. They also have a very good management team that has a very deep bench. While they could hit a bad streak, they are more likely to survive it unscathed than any other carrier out there.

And whatever you do, don't look back on this decision until the day that you retire.

Latest resources

Back