Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GonFishin

honey i forgot my phone..
I am moving to South Florida and would like to get feedback on which company would be better to work for given the choice?

Thanks

GF

Interesting choice. Spirit has two bases, a schedule, new investment, and the possibility of new Airbus equipment this fall. Miami Air has 737-800's, one base, and less of a schedule. I think the answer to your question lies in what type of flying do you want to be doing? The Spirit contract is actually pretty good when it comes to work rules and pay guarantees. The 3 spirit pilots I've talked with were pretty cool guys. Upgrade possibly around 2-3 years.

Miami Air has more of a fly anywhere flavor to it. Very adventerous. (They call you up to tell you your going to___.When you ask them where ___is, they have to get an Atlas to look it up.) 5 year upgrade. Very nice equipment. Also some nice folks flying there.

I guess your choice comes down to what kind of schedule do you want, and how much supplemental international flying vs. mostly domestic sheduled piques your interest. Good luck on your choice!
Both good companies.

Enigma or BigFly'r???

Spirit--but you would probably be DTW based first......If you want to be sure you are based in Florida---go to Gulfstream (for $20,000) or TAB Express---those guys are dope....

Bye Bye--General Lee;)

General Lee said:
Spirit--but you would probably be DTW based first......If you want to be sure you are based in Florida---go to Gulfstream (for $20,000) or TAB Express---those guys are dope....

Bye Bye--General Lee;)

I admire your insight Gen. Lee but I have heard that Spirit is now preferentially hiring local people. So if you live in FLL they are not going to ship you off to DTW.

Go for Spirit - nice equipment and there may be some growth there if they continue to add more buses...

I admire your insight Gen. Lee but I have heard that Spirit is now preferentially hiring local people. So if you live in FLL they are not going to ship you off to DTW.

Unfortunately schedules and domicile are decided by seniority,
there are several pilots based in DTW that live in south Florida.
As more pilots come on board they will be able to bid the FLL base. I wouldn't count on FLL as a domicile for a new hire, that said it would probably be less than a year to get FLL if all goes as planned.

I can't speak for Miami Air, however I seem to remember that TurboS7 wrote a little about their scheduling/work rules/QOL. A rough quote would be, show up with your bags packed for a trip, but be ready to change plans. They are charter, need I say more?

At Spirit, we have decent work rules and decent schedules. Most trips are three or four days with resonable rest between release and show. The money is ok, and the people are easy to work with. We have our occasional gripe, but all in all, the job is good. The company is profitable, enough so to have attracted quality investors in this time of airline losses. Spirit should be a good job for a long time.

DC9Stick is correct, Spirit looks for locals, but that doesn't mean that you will immediately be able to get FLL Currently, DTW is slightly less senior for FO's. Not to worry, with the expected hiring, you should be able to get south FL in short order.

good luck
enigma

edit: There is a Miami Air specific string on the general interview bbs.

Last edited:
DC9stick said:

Unfortunately schedules and domicile are decided by seniority,
there are several pilots based in DTW that live in south Florida.
As more pilots come on board they will be able to bid the FLL base. I wouldn't count on FLL as a domicile for a new hire, that said it would probably be less than a year to get FLL if all goes as planned.

Well, that's what I meant. If I were hired I would eventually be based in FLL since I live there. Besides, the growth would also be a factor. I would doubt spirit would hire someone that lives in FLL and keep them in DTW. Would defeat the purpose of hiring locals.

rjgirl, the pay scales have been posted on this forum in the last few weeks. A search for Spirit should get them.

In short, a newhire can expect to get about 3 grand a month.

good luck,
enigma

Latest resources

Back