• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spirit Airlines to add 10 new nonstop flights at Bush Intercontinental

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I got no dog in this urinary olympiad but unless you have a bunk on your jet and carry more than 2 pilots you cant say you fly International.

I was going to say something similar. No disrespect to SWA, it's a well run airline. That being said, sorry, if you can reach it in the 737, that's hardly "international" the way most of us think of it. Sure, Mexico is not the US but it's not polar flying either. I flew RJ's to Mexico and the Caribbean 12 years ago. It's not the same flying that I've done at UniCal.

I was going to say something similar. No disrespect to SWA, it's a well run airline. That being said, sorry, if you can reach it in the 737, that's hardly "international" the way most of us think of it. Sure, Mexico is not the US but it's not polar flying either. I flew RJ's to Mexico and the Caribbean 12 years ago. It's not the same flying that I've done at UniCal.

Well, if you guys at Unical don't consider it "international," when flying to Mexico and the Caribbean, then why does Flopgut get so friggin' crazy about us going there from Hobby? Seriously, I think he took several years off of his life, raising his blood pressure like he did with his indignant outrage.

Hell, apparently it's nothing to see... just more "domestic" outta' Hobby... move along now... nothing to talk about here... :0

Bubba

Well, if you guys at Unical don't consider it "international," when flying to Mexico and the Caribbean, then why does Flopgut get so friggin' crazy about us going there from Hobby? Seriously, I think he took several years off of his life, raising his blood pressure like he did with his indignant outrage.

Hell, apparently it's nothing to see... just more "domestic" outta' Hobby... move along now... nothing to talk about here... :0

Bubba

Because I wanted to see my airplane right next to your airplane, and see who more people chose. But that was less than a sure thing for you guys, so you ran off.

Like I said before, just do the work/flying for a few years, then mouth off. Till then? STFU

Because I wanted to see my airplane right next to your airplane, and see who more people chose. But that was less than a sure thing for you guys, so you ran off.

Awesome! If that's what you want, then c'mon down to Hobby, where we've ALWAYS flown from, and park those shiny Unical jets next to ours. We'll see what happens. Deal?

Like I said before, just do the work/flying for a few years, then mouth off. Till then? STFU

That's exactly what I've been trying to tell you all this time, Flop--STFU about where WE fly to/from, and worry about running your own airline. Glad we're finally on the same sheet of music! I feel so much better about it now...

Bubba

Awesome! If that's what you want, then c'mon down to Hobby, where we've ALWAYS flown from, and park those shiny Unical jets next to ours. We'll see what happens. Deal?

That's exactly what I've been trying to tell you all this time, Flop--STFU about where WE fly to/from, and worry about running your own airline. Glad we're finally on the same sheet of music! I feel so much better about it now...

Bubba

Run a more responsible business, there won't be anything to say. Did Spirit have to start with a controversial airport or terminal? No. They just do work. Red thinks I'm upset about about this expansion at IAH?! The guy just can't get it thru his head, I think competition is great!!

Even you've admitted I take a regular hiatus from FI. I'd rather not have this conversation right now. But one of your eternally confused co-workers called me out. When I'm sure the behavior of your company is such that the rest of the industry doesn't have to watch out for a backstabbing, I'll stfu.

Run a more responsible business, there won't be anything to say. Did Spirit have to start with a controversial airport or terminal? No. They just do work. Red thinks I'm upset about about this expansion at IAH?! The guy just can't get it thru his head, I think competition is great!!

Even you've admitted I take a regular hiatus from FI. I'd rather not have this conversation right now. But one of your eternally confused co-workers called me out. When I'm sure the behavior of your company is such that the rest of the industry doesn't have to watch out for a backstabbing, I'll stfu.

We both know that it was only a "controversy," because you didn't want us to be able to compete internationally out of Houston with you. Now you've elevated it to a "backstabbing"? That's laughable, and it's hard to imagine you even saying this with a straight face. And if you really believe it, then dude, seriously, you're going to stroke out worrying about this.

And before you give me any crap about flying out of IAH (or that ridiculous "splitting the FIS" nonsense), answer this one question, Flop: how are we supposed to "compete fairly," that is fly internationally out of IAH, when ALL of our domestic customers are at a different airport on the other side of town? That's a serious question, and one that you've dodged every time.

Answer that question, or you can STFU with all your BS, made-up arguments.

Bubba

And before you give me any crap about flying out of IAH (or that ridiculous "splitting the FIS" nonsense), answer this one question, Flop: how are we supposed to "compete fairly," that is fly internationally out of IAH, when ALL of our domestic customers are at a different airport on the other side of town? That's a serious question, and one that you've dodged every time.

Answer that question, or you can STFU with all your BS, made-up arguments.

Bubba

Decisions are made in life, and you live with the consequences. Some people smoke their whole life, they often die early as a result. Your airline made a (somewhat) shortsighted decision to be at certain airports 40 years ago. Not only did SWA not want to fund the expenses of full service, international airports back then, you wanted to undercut the airlines that were funding it. That sort of decision making should not be rewarded with approval to build an FIS. SWA should have had to move everything to IAH. (It's the same thing in Dallas where an extra effort was made recently to make sure you'll do no international out of Love) Live with your decisions. At the very least you should have been required to build an equal number of public gates at Hobby to the number you wanted exclusively. AND, it would have been entirely appropriate for swa to pay for the unused gates at IAH.

And it's not like this is the end of swa chiseling and grifting. Youre going to have trouble with many more things out of Hobby, including no meaningful access for other airlines. They'll want into Hobby and you're going to use political BS to try and force them to IAH. It's an ongoing pattern that has to be opposed.

We both know that it was only a "controversy," because you didn't want us to be able to compete internationally out of Houston with you.

Really? Pretty damn sure all anyone complained about was that you weren't willing to do it out of IAH. Show me where my airline is trying to keep Spirit out right now? Your credibility is really starting to slide Bubba;) All any company has wanted with SWA is a level playing field. SWA was unwilling to go to DFW, then managed to keep the other airlines from coming back into Love. Unwilling to go to IAH, and only building one gate for other airline use at Hobby. See a pattern?

Last edited:
Really? Pretty damn sure all anyone complained about was that you weren't willing to do it out of IAH. Show me where my airline is trying to keep Spirit out right now? Your credibility is really starting to slide Bubba;) All any company has wanted with SWA is a level playing field. SWA was unwilling to go to DFW, then managed to keep the other airlines from coming back into Love. Unwilling to go to IAH, and only building one gate for other airline use. See a pattern?

BS. Actually, nobody but Unical cares where we fly out of Houston from.

And also BS about Love Field. We never "kept other airlines" from coming back to Love. Just because you keep saying it, doesn't make it true. It's been debunked multiple times.

And seriously, why do you care so much? Many, many American cities have multiple airports, including multiple international airports. Do you need me to name some for you? Why is it you're so insistent on denying Houston that ability? Do you have something against the good people of Houston, and their ability to have a choice of airports? Are you really saying, "screw them; they'll take only what we say, and like it!" Because that's what it seems like. In reality, your whining about Southwest is just that--whining. Whining because you really just don't want competition south of the border from a large competitor. And you know we can't fly international out of IAH when our domestic passengers are in Hobby.

Tell you what, though--lemme help assuage your fears, so you don't have an aneurysm or something:

-- No FIS will be split; IAH will remain unchanged. The Feds will hire more people, and buy more machines. That's what they do.

-- If more demand for international travel arises, the airport will build more gates for them. And this part should excite you, Flop, because there's already talk of just that--building more international gates than the five we're paying for. Hobby authorities are already looking forward to a larger international footprint. That should make you feel better.

So, happy now? Can we get back to running our respective airlines, and quit whining like a little girl now? :0

Bubba

In my day, 737s went between Cleveland and Chicago....

They still do, on United out of ORD and Southwest out of MDW. Now on Delto you wouldn't get that type of airplane to CLE, it's all Regional Jets out of MSP, DTW, JFK. In my day DC9's flew those routes, nice going Lumberg.

Latest resources

Back