• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spin training?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wonder how difficult it would be to actually get out of a 172 or other trainier of the like wearing a parachute while spinning.

I always wondered about that to. The most turns in a spin I have ever done was about 8 in a c152. The forces get stronger and stronger the longer your in the spin. Man was that fun though!!!!!!!!!!!

later in training i show students the importance of staying co-ordinated during slow flight and stalls....

i did some spins in an extra 300 which opened my eyes to spins....but i still dont like doin them

buffettck said:
The Staple's "Easy" button? Geez, you're easily impressed...

That was easy!

I discussed the issue with two different local chapters of civil servants and both said no! The only rating or certificate that 91.307 would exempt would be a two year or more cfi, instructing an initial cfi candidate. Also cfii or mei as the initial does not have to comply with spin training. Most 141 or 61 schools have spin awareness training in the curriculum, but not full on spins.

Spin training without a parachute a can be done with a student pilot. Technically it would be prep for the CFI and that satisfies the AC direction given as well as the FAR. Personally I believe that you are providing Stall Spin Awareness training too and that IS required for the Private Pilot Certificate.

Regarding the level of spin training for students, I think it is best to only do one turn. That's all. Forcing the airplane into more turns can be dangerous if the CFI doesn't recognize the development of a spiral. The results can be fatal in that case. One turn is totally safe no matter what and that accomplishes the objective of allowing the student to gain confidence for an unusual attitude recovery following an unexpected spin entry following a stall upset.

Last edited:
Again... any CFI can conduct spin training for ANY STUDENT at ANY LEVEL during training of ANY TYPE (be it towards a CFI rating or not) without a parachute.

This comes from the expanded guidance and regs interpretation that comes DIRECTLY FROM THE FAA in Advisory Circular 61.67. (You posted it yourself desnapper! Stick with your guns. Official printed material always trumps the "knowledge" of an "expert" and will always hold up in court). This text comes directly off the FAA website.

Here is the pertainant language that grants that exception:

"Because spin entry, spins, and spin recovery are required for a flight instructor certificate or rating, a person receiving instruction from a CFI (or an ATP instructing in accordance with section 61.167) need not wear an approved parachute while instruction is being provided in these maneuvers. This provision applies regardless of the certificate or rating for which the person is receiving training and also if the person is receiving instruction that is not being provided for the purpose of obtaining any additional certificate or rating."

What this (green text) is stating is that because CFI's are formally trained in spins while obtaining their certificate, any spin training conducted by a certified CFI is exempt from 91.307.

The second part of the paragraph (blue text) clarifies that any spin training (whether towards the CFI rating or not- even if its not towards a specific certificate/rating), is exempted from 91.307.

Last edited:
91.307 clearly says that parachutes are required for any maneuver that exceed 30 degrees of pitch or 60 degrees of bank. Paragraph (b) of that section says that there are exceptions (meaning no parachutes) for "Spins and other flight maneuvers required by the regulations for any certificate or rating when given by a flight instructor." That is the regulation on this subject.

Clearly then you can not just go out an do spins without a parachute with just anyone anytime. Yes you can do this with your Private or Commercial student because you are providing "Stall/Spin Awareness" training that is required for both of those certificates. Plus if anyone questions this it could be said that you were providing training for the CFI.

It should be noted that the regulations are law and the final authority. In other words they are regulatory. Advisory Circulars are, "Non-Regulatory material of interest" by definition. When in doubt always go back to the actual regulation for the final answer.

Last edited:
It comes down to interpretation of the regs. Since the regulation in 91.307 isn't clear cut, you can refer back to the AC for further guidance on the reg.

Here is the applicable regulation:

"91.307 (d): Paragraph (c) of this section does not apply to...

(1) Flight tests for pilot certification or rating;
(2) Spins and other flight maneuvers required by the regulations for any certificate or rating when given by..."

So does that mean that spins are totally exempted? Or only when they are required by the regs? It depends where you put the emphasis. Perhaps we should write the FAA and ask them to change that to:

(1) Flight tests for pilot certification or rating;
(2) Spin training flights conducted by a CFI or ATP;
(3) Other flight maneuvers required by the regulations for any certificate or rating..."

Do you see what I'm getting at? There is a lot of grey in this reg (Like most of the FARs). The fact is that the FAA has provided additional guidance and interpretation in the form of an advisory circular. I have spoken with inspectors at two different FSDOs about this matter (Fargo and Richmond). Both places agree that spin training can be conducted (in an appropriate aircraft) without parachutes, regardless of the type of training being conducted.

If you really feel like you are operating way out on the "ragged edge" just put in the student's logbook- "Intro to CFI techniques: Spins." There's nothing in the regs that states that a student cannot start learning/training how to be a CFI on lesson one of their private pilot training. They just aren't eligible for a checkride until they meet additional criteria.

Of course, we're all set in our own ways. I'm not going to stop spin training with those students that will benefit from it just because I don't have a chute or because they aren't CFI candidates. If the FSDO calls me on it, then we can sit down and chat about the grey area. I feel pretty confident in my interpretation. Besides, why would the FAA want to hinder training that ultimately increases pilot safety and awareness?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back