Speeding Tickets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bozt,

who did you call to get that information? I talked with the DPS and they told me to mail in a form with $7 to find out. Is there a number to call?

LiveFree,

You said you had two tickets. Does that mean that you had two tickets that were current? (meaning they would count against you for insurance purposes?) or that you have had two tickets in your life?

background

Can anyone shed some light on exactly WHAT SWA asks for on the background check? I plan to get a full check done. I FULLY intend to answer any questions they may have but I have head too many stories of folks being called and told that their hiring was terminated to later find out they forgot to list an old ticket, etc. I, for one do NOT intend to have all my efforts wasted because of something forgotten from long ago. I just hope I can convince them that my past speeding tickets were a result of "youthful ignorance" and are NOT part of my present or future trends.

Bill

My license was in Florida and I just called the FLorida DMV at (850) 922-9000. A lady was nice enough to help me over the phone without the hastle of using the mail. If you live in another state, just try their DMV. SHould be able to get the number off the internet. Hope this helps.

For the SWA Background check did they ask you to list the tickets you had in the last 5 years, 10 years, or ever.

Thanks and Fly Safe
Chuck

If memory serves me right....."have you ever pled guilty to any traffic violation including DUI/DWI?

aj

Dead wrong

Sort of.

The NDR does indeed contan that information.

However, by law the airline itself may only check back 5 years.

Under the Pilots Reform Act the NDR may only release the past 5 years to an airline who submits a request. That is why in addition to the NDR they also ask for a driving record from your state that goes back further in many cases. Of course that includes the dpeeding tickets of course as well.

RJones said:
Let me try to help a little. I talked with my sister, who's a police officer, several years ago and she stated that the state record would only go back 7 - 10 years. She said anything beyond that would be "purged" from the data base. The reason as she stated was because the states data bases can't hold that much information. The qualifier on that is...if your a problem driver your offenses will be retained beyond the 7 - 10 year limit.

As far as the NDR report is concerned, it will only list offenses that result in DUI's, Suspensions and the like, not tickets. It will go back to the begining of your driving record. I would suggest that you get a copy of your NDR report prior to applying to any commercial operator.

Not sure how many tickets are too many, maybe someone else could chime in on that.

RJ

NDR

jUST IN CASE YOU WANT THE ADDRESS:

National Driving Record
400 7th Street SW
Room 6124
Washington DC 20590-0001

Phone Number 202-366-4800

I sent them a written request , and in about a month they sent me a letter, stating that they could find no records pertaining to me ,,,, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

So drop the a note and they will get back to you.:cool:

Under the Pilots Reform Act the NDR may only release the past 5 years to an airline who submits a request.

Dead wrong eh? I wasn't talking about the airlines request, I was talking about your own personal request.

Of course that includes the dpeeding tickets of course as well.

Umm, OK.

RJ

There are four record databases pertaining to driving records:
Police, court, DMV and the NDR.

Police and court records can be expunged (removed from public inspection). This does not apply to minor traffic violations, such as speeding tickets. If you have ever been charged with a crime, including a traffic violation for which a term of imprisonment may be imposed (vehicular manslaugther, DUI, DWI etc), you may file a petition for expungement if:

You were found not guilty
The charges were dismissed
You received PBJ (probation)
Nol prosequi ( State didn't prosecute)
Stet

So, if you fall under one of the above, file the petition, pay the filing fee and ,if the State's attorney and cops do not object, you should have a clean Court and Police record ONLY in about 60 days (proecedure varies by state). What it means is if your probation has expired and it's been (generally) more than 3 years since the trial, you're home free

Now, DMV records are even easier. Simply ask your local DMV office for expungement instruction and follow to a tee. Usually, you have to have been conviction free for a period of three years (not charge free, but conviction free, it's very important). So even if you got tickets within the last three years, but beat the rap, your records will be wiped out clean. After that, "disclosure of expunged information may not be required of a person who applies for eomployment, etc." Some states expunge their records automatically, every 5 years or so, so check with states where you may have gotten tickets.

Finally, for the NDR, and its implications for aviators...

As per PRIA of '96 (thanks Slick Willy), information furnished is limited to 5 years. So if the record of suspension was entered more than 5 years ago and the suspension IS NOT in effect on the date of the request, you're home free.

So, if the last of your 25 speeding tickets was more than 3 years ago and you've gone through the process of expunging your state records, simply state that you've never even been pulled over. And if your 3rd or 4th DUI and/or DWI, which almost always comes with a suspension, took place more than 5 years ago, simply state that you've never even touched a bottle.

Touche

DISCLAIMER: Consult your attorney to determine how the law applies to your case, and/or contact your court clerk for more info on procedures of expungment

Latest resources

Back