Speeding Tickets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SWAnnabee

How far back does a NDR check indicate? How many is TOO many for an airline interview? I have gotten my state record and it goes back 7 years. It shows four tickets for speeding 10-15 mph in excess of the limit over a period of about seven years. I know I had a few others from teenage/early twenties but they didn't show on the state record. Will other background checks done by the majors show EVERYTHING and am I going to be OK in an interview with what I DO show?

Let me try to help a little. I talked with my sister, who's a police officer, several years ago and she stated that the state record would only go back 7 - 10 years. She said anything beyond that would be "purged" from the data base. The reason as she stated was because the states data bases can't hold that much information. The qualifier on that is...if your a problem driver your offenses will be retained beyond the 7 - 10 year limit.

As far as the NDR report is concerned, it will only list offenses that result in DUI's, Suspensions and the like, not tickets. It will go back to the begining of your driving record. I would suggest that you get a copy of your NDR report prior to applying to any commercial operator.

Not sure how many tickets are too many, maybe someone else could chime in on that.

RJ

If you know that you have never had a DWI or a suspended license, should you spend the money to get the NDR? Seems like a waste of money to me.

I don't nememben the cost - but it is wonth the peace of mind ... mistakes get made - how'd you like to lose your dneam job because some county clenk typed an "n" instead of an "r"?

Last edited:
Just called

I just called and found out that my COMPLETE record shows I have five tickets, all minor speeding, since I was 17yrs old starting from 1987. I know this is a lot and a few I can explain away as doing the hiway speed and not seeing a posted change in the speed limit(ie was posted 55mph but change to 45mph and did not see the sign in time). History as follows;
I know this sux but if I sat clean and am honest about the record will I have a problem. Really worried about this. Any advice appreciated. How far back do they check so I have an idea of how many I will have to answer for.

Last edited:
OK, first off take adeep breath and try to relax. It has been three years since your last ticket - right? You are going to have to go to your state NDR to find out how far back the record goes. 10 years used to be the "stadard" answer, but 9-11 changed that: now the FBI is involved so all kinds of strange things come up - it used to just be convictions within 10 years - but now it seems that ANY contact with law enforcement - EVER - is fair game. I'd be ready to talk about all of these tickets.

I could be wrong, but I think you're OK. What you want to avoid in your background check is any thing recent relevant or really really bad.

My advice to you:
- Relax - the old tickets are a done deal, don't try to hide them, but don't stress, you can't undo them now.
- Stop speeding! you have a trend going, you need to show that you are reformed.
- Consider taking a driver safety course. You can do this to lower your insurance rates and by doing it voluntarily you can show that you really are reformed and that you want to follow the law now.

Good luck!

Be Honest

Botz,
What ever you do, be completely honest. Do not lie about anything on an app, interview, resume. A lie will come back to haunt you! Most of us know of people that have been bitten by a lie. Even if you honestly forget to claim a speeding ticket, you can be seen by a potential employer as being dishonest.

Good luck.

AF

tickets

I appreciate the replies. DEFINATELY reformed. HOW FAR BACK WILL AN INTERVIEW CHECK? 7yrs? 10yrs? Complete record? BTW I am active military and a graduate of the Aviation Safety Officer course, if that helps any. No flight mishaps or violations.

SWA attitude?

Also I am heavily invested into applying at SWA and would like any info as to how they will react to this kind of record.

I used to speed alot....

I used to speed alot until I hit 25 and had my first kid. After that I just started leaving 10-15 min early and letting the rush hour traffic pass me by. Got to where I could usually find a hole in the traffic and relax for my 45 min commute.

I had two tickets on my record and got into the SWA pool in June of 2001. I am #90 on the list now. If that is where you are interviewing the negatives can make great postitive stories. The traffic tickets never came up, however.

Everyone has something on their resume/background/whatever that isn't 100% shiny. I think how you talk about it and handle it tells the employer volumes about what kind of person you are.

So suck it up and be honest, and if you have to wait two years longer, instead of 2 months, to get your dream job--you might as well do something you like in those two years! Good luck either way.

IMHO,
LFD

Latest resources

Back