Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Vector4fun said:
Hmmmm,

New Yorker speeding in Mississippi on back road in car whose interior looks like the floor of a crack house....

Nothing suspicious about that, nothing at all....

(Just yankin' yer chain a bit.) :D
:D

It's amazing how many times cop car dash cams have proven in court that police didn't have an articulable reason to search a car and the case gets tossed. Not saying all the people are innocent that got their cases tossed, but you just can't "hunch" your way through to a bust when you're filiming your own actions and statements.

Also, psysicx, please note that I must disclaimer...I'm not an attorney, nor do I have any license to practice law, but any person that has read the US Constitution and can www.google.com "illegal search and seizure" can come up with the same information I have given here tonight.

Probable cause is such a loose term. If your acting jumpy then they have cause. You might be upset from getting a ticket but the cop doesn't care he is going to do what he wants.

Try that sh!t with a Chicago cop and you'll soon find an ounce of blow and a .38 in your back seat, not to mention the forthcoming beating.

Or...... You could move back to Long Island and send in the fine and be done with it and move on with your life instead of dragging it throught the court system.
Just a thought!

Pay the ticket and move on with your life, enough said. Don't be a wus and ask about eyesight, look for mistakes, or any of the other garbage that people will tell you to do. If you made a mistake, fess up to it and take your punishment.

And no, you are not allowed 10mph over the speed LIMIT, that is why it's called a limit. It's like when ATC tells you to "maintain" a certain altitude, you don't get +/- 1000 foot do you?

troy said:
Pay the ticket and move on with your life, enough said. Don't be a wus and ask about eyesight, look for mistakes, or any of the other garbage that people will tell you to do. If you made a mistake, fess up to it and take your punishment.

And no, you are not allowed 10mph over the speed LIMIT, that is why it's called a limit. It's like when ATC tells you to "maintain" a certain altitude, you don't get +/- 1000 foot do you?

First of all, it doesn't sound like he is anything close to a speed demon, especially at barley 11 mph over the limit. Its quite possible that the speedometer may be out of calibration or maybe he was passing someone and it required some acceleration. By the way, if you do have a maintenance bill from a mechanic attesting to the fact that it was inspected and found to have been out of calibration, you will have the ticket dismissed. If the kid has a clean record, and is generally a safe driver, he may learn a lesson by being let off with a warning. I'm sure many of us have been pulled over for one reason or another and were given a warning and no ticket by the officer. If he asked to search your vehicle, he probably used the barely over the limit speeding offense to check you out. He may have thought something was suspicious about your vehicle or the contents of it, even from far away. Those LASER and RADAR devices have telescopes connected to them that can view up to a mile way. The device is usually pointed at the front license plate since it is the flattest part of the vehicle. The unit requires a flat surface in order to return an accurate reading. What you may have seen on a lot of cars is a semi-curved translucent plastic plate over the license. This is something sold at a lot of auto part stores for the reason of disturbing the RADAR equipment so that it sends back an erroneous reading. There is a disclaimer on the packaging though, stating that “local laws must be complied with.” Technically, you’re not allowed to have anything that obstructs the view of your license plate, and you may receive a ticket for this. But a non-moving violation. This goes for those silly vanity plate frames too, dealer advertisements, naked woman, chain link or the one that broadcasts “I’m an FAA Licensed Pilot”. They are all technically illegal. Nothing is allowed to really be superimposed onto the plate as it usually obstructs the view of some details of the plate.

Where I'm from people on the highway regularly travel within a range between 10 MPH just over the speed limit. And I have seen plenty of troopers positioned along the highway without pulling people over for this. As a matter of fact, its been told to me by an officer that they don't normally bother anyone for being 10mph or so over the limit. That’s where I got that information the first place.
Also, speeding tickets are usually enforced to pump money into the local economy of a lot of small towns.

Last edited:
psysicx said:
They can search your car without permission.
They can get sued without permission as well, cite your answer.

They can do anything they want to...even kick your ass, just ask Rodney King.

If you consent to the search, you waive your rights. Once you have done that, you cannot challenge the constitutionallity of the seach in court at a later date.

If they ask, say no. If they search anyway, at least you didn't take the constitution and throw it in the waste basket.

Last edited:
NYCPilot said:
First of all, it doesn't sound like he is anything close to a speed demon, especially at barley 11 mph over the limit. Its quite possible that the speedometer may be out of calibration or maybe he was passing someone and it required some acceleration...
Who cares about the speeding ticket? He had that coming. What he didn't have coming was the invasive search of his car. Wait a minute, he gave permission...I guess he did have that comming too.

SiuDude said:
Only if they have probable cause, like a crackpipe laying on the floor....
I've been stopped by the Nazis in IL for B.S. stuff, like a broken license plate light, or doing 61 in a 55. Almost every time they asked for consent. I usually refused initially. I had 2 separate cops tell me that this is an anti-terrorist effort, another one wanted to make sure I didn't have any dead bodies in the trunk. So they basically try to talk you into consenting, that's what they teach'em at the academy. So I have usually given in to their "requests", and gotten away with a warning. The only ticket I've ever gotten was from a state cop who had no interest in searching my car.
They also teach them in academy that if they "accidently" hit you in the head with a "nightstick", to articulate in their reports that they hit you on the arm first and the nightstick glanced off and then hit you in the head.

If they are asking, that means that they have no grounds to search your vehicle. And if they have grounds and are asking you anyway, this is their way of getting you to waive your rights so that you cannot challenge the search later in court.

If you have a cop that is saying, let me see in your car and I'll forget the ticket, get him to say explain it to you real good a second time. Then refuse anyway and have your lawyer subpeona the cop cam tape at your traffic trial. The worst it will cost you is a day in court.

SiuDude said:
Only if they have probable cause, like a crackpipe laying on the floor....
I've been stopped by the Nazis in IL for B.S. stuff, like a broken license plate light, or doing 61 in a 55. Almost every time they asked for consent. I usually refused initially. I had 2 separate cops tell me that this is an anti-terrorist effort, another one wanted to make sure I didn't have any dead bodies in the trunk. So they basically try to talk you into consenting, that's what they teach'em at the academy. So I have usually given in to their "requests", and gotten away with a warning. The only ticket I've ever gotten was from a state cop who had no interest in searching my car.

Illinois Nazis, I hate Illinois Nazis

Latest resources

Back