Special VFR

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mattpilot said:
SVFR in helos must rock. Only requirement is to stay clear of clouds regardless of vis.

Same as in class G for helos. Can't wait to try that out ;)

so, when the vis goes to 0, you can still be in class G?

How do you know if you're in a cloud or not if it's that low?

-mini

paulsalem said:
Who has actually gotten a Special VFR?

Lots of times in the 206/7s and Beavers. The float operation was certified to 200/3 over the water and the land planes 500/2.

Ive done it out of Dupage in Chi town going to 06C (Schaumburg) in an old ass archer. Went to drop another CFI to pick up a plane and had to wait around. The WX was kind of questionable to start with but I fig. I could make the 7 or so mile trip which I did. After waiting for almost an hour the weather went to crap. To make matters worse I landed back at 06c and after the 5 min flight I found a half inch of clear ice. Lets just say that flight kind of opened up my eyes a bit.

Last edited:
minitour said:
so, when the vis goes to 0, you can still be in class G?

How do you know if you're in a cloud or not if it's that low?

-mini

you can be in class B with 0 vis... technically :)

All that is required for helo pilots is to maintain a safe airspeed to avoid hitting stuff should they just 'pop up' infront of you and remain clear of clouds. Oh, its also important to keep the ground insight - otherwise you are IFR and not VFR.

Of course if you do crash, reckless operation of an aircraft comes to mind.... :)

To be honest, i don't know how you can tell if you are in a cloud- flew a 172 up to ICT last week in solid IMC conditions - couldn't tell if i was in the cloud half the time. But i knew that on occasions i wasn't, even though it was all white the entire flight. BUt i could tell because we were between 2 overcast layers, and the bottom layer would on a few occasions break up and you could see some ground once in a while in all that whiteness. Sure was confusing :)

mattpilot said:
To be honest, i don't know how you can tell if you are in a cloud- flew a 172 up to ICT last week in solid IMC conditions - couldn't tell if i was in the cloud half the time. But i knew that on occasions i wasn't, even though it was all white the entire flight. BUt i could tell because we were between 2 overcast layers, and the bottom layer would on a few occasions break up and you could see some ground once in a while in all that whiteness. Sure was confusing :)

It's easy...you're in a cloud when you need to get current :D

"Shot that NDB down to minimums today...man it sucked"
"sir, wasn't it clear and 6?"
"nope...down to minimums..."

Done lots of them in the arctic. But just for added excitement, we would have 3 or 4 different airplanes from different airlines sharing the same special with "visual" separation. We intepreted visual separation as "see and avoid", not necessarily having the other planes in sight. That was probably a bit of a stretch.

mattpilot said:
The AIM is considered regulatory.
Uh actually, no it's not.

As a CFI in SoCal I did SVFR on a regular basis. There are times when the vis. just doesn't get above 2-2.5 for days at a time. Once you break out of the haze at 2500' or so, it's just like any other day flying over a giant grey lake.

Uh actually, no it's not.

Uh actually, yes it is.

The AIM has the same value as a FSDO legal interpretation regarding regulations. All the AIM does is explain and elaborate the regs and apply it to certain situations so it is easier to understand.

I specifically remember being told that the FAR is regulatory and the AIM was not. In the AIM preface, publication policy, it says:

---
d. This publication, while not regulatory, provides information which reflects examples of operating techniques and procedures which may be requirements in other federal publications or regulations. It is made available solely to assist pilots in executing their responsibilities required by other publications.
---

See http://www.faa.gov/ATpubs/AIM/Preface/aim-pol.html#Policy

EDIT: FAR 91.157 says:
---
(b) Special VFR operations may only be conducted—
(4) Except for helicopters, between sunrise and sunset (or in Alaska, when the sun is 6 degrees or more below the horizon) unless—
(i) The person being granted the ATC clearance meets the applicable requirements for instrument flight under part 61 of this chapter
---

That to me would indicate you must be have the instrument rating to Special VFR at night.

DOUBLE EDIT: Someone else already posted this.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back