• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest upgrade falls to 9 years 7 months

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is the straight dope. It's not a perfect system, but definetaly the most lucrative one I've ever worked under. Less commutable is about the only real negative I see. But. I don't commute. Anymore. And I'm lancing in domicile. Why anyone would think that's worse than commuting to weekend reserve is beyond me.

Check me if I'm wrong, HD, but this commentary comes from a fATN dude, correct? PCL has a long, established history of completely misunderstanding this airline. And having bailed out right before crossing over, he can continue to wallow in his willful ignorance forever more. :rolleyes:

At Southwest, there's no maximum amount you can work

This is true at the ALPA carriers, also, yet they still have straight trip drops. Hell, the guys at Delta clean up with green slips. You live in a bubble and don't realize what else is out there that is so superior to what you've got. It's sad.

This is true at the ALPA carriers, also, yet they still have straight trip drops. Hell, the guys at Delta clean up with green slips. You live in a bubble and don't realize what else is out there that is so superior to what you've got. It's sad.

Yet you have never worked for any of these "so called" superior airlines. What legacy did you leave on the airline industry? Which place was it that set the bar in negotiations, or paved the way in this industry? First lesson in life, don't ever take advice from someone who never led the life they espouse.

Me thinks PCL is still on the property sitting at home, waiting (and getting paid) for his Captain upgrade then when he looks the big picture he may even withdraw his Walmart greeter application- just saying
If I'm wrong and all the upgrades are complete then he should have no credible comment on SWA as he has never worked for them.

Um, yeah, most people here know who I am, and they know when I resigned. Thanks for playing, though.

This is the straight dope. It's not a perfect system, but definetaly the most lucrative one I've ever worked under. Less commutable is about the only real negative I see. But. I don't commute. Anymore. And I'm lancing in domicile. Why anyone would think that's worse than commuting to weekend reserve is beyond me.

Exactly Humvee.

It's not a perfect system and I wish we had the option for straight drop. If you're good with ELITT you can drop days....sometimes.

If you just want to fly your line and do nothing, your going to usually get 16 or 17 days off (how many more do you need?). Credit will be 95-100 trips. Basically 3 on, 4 off, etc. Rinse and repeat. Good pay for very few days at work. That kind of schedule would give a mid-level FO 150k/yr with doing nothing. No trading, no working the soft credit, no premium.

If you are interested in working harder, it's there as well. This is where the 'lucrative' part comes in. You can sacrifice a few days off, work your soft credit months and that baseline 150k quickly is 180k+ for a mid-level FO. Granted, this isn't for everyone but it's available. I know other airlines like DL have 'greenslips'. But the above is not done with premium/greenslip additions. It can be done at straight time every month. If you are an upper level FO, then premium is readily available every single weekend. Except maybe Feb. This weekend's premium was everywhere, at almost every seniority level. This is the part that PCL can't really comprehend. He never worked one day under our system.

Huge money can be made if you're in the top of your seat and fly premium almost exclusively and pick up beyond the basic 17 days off. The numbers are very high. Again, not for everybody. Especially if you're a commuter.

I know I've got a lot to learn bein new and all...but what type of trips are you able to drop in elitt? I've put weekday trips, both 3 and 4 days, starting on a tues, with no PIN#, no cell to call, yet there they sit. I was told the weekday trips were the most desirable. Are the AM or PM's easiest to give away?

I know I've got a lot to learn bein new and all...but what type of trips are you able to drop in elitt? I've put weekday trips, both 3 and 4 days, starting on a tues, with no PIN#, no cell to call, yet there they sit. I was told the weekday trips were the most desirable. Are the AM or PM's easiest to give away?

You can only trade in Elitt. But the trips don't have to overlap (they don't have to be vertical in AirTran speak). So if you want to trade a Tuesday start for a Wednesday start, you can. TTGA (trip trade give away) is where you post your trip for another pilot to pick up. I had Tuesday PM's and gave away three 3 days for May (FO side). If give away is your plan, put them in as soon as you can, but don't expect them to go until after monthly open time is open (MOT). Even then it takes a while for them to get looked at. As far as making your trip look more attractive in give away, you have to think what someone else wants in a trip,not what you want. So if you are like me and look for SJU overnights, you may want to consider bidding trips that have these qualities; PM trip with an earlier finish time and trips that pass through domicile. You can break up the trips that pass through domicile (partial give away) or other folks will want the trip so they can break it up. Of course one day and two day trips will be easier o give away too. Finally, a trip that pays well for not a lot of block time (deadhead) will get looked at too.

Latest resources

Back