• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest upgrade falls to 9 years 7 months

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A Lance Captain is a Captain-qualified First Officer. He gets an F/O line, but can pick up or trade for Captain pairings. He gets paid the appropriate rate for whichever seat he's sitting in for a given pairing. The top 2.3% of F/Os in a base get to be Lances.

I am not a Lance Captain. However, Uncle Bunkle is still an idiot.

Bubba

That's pretty rediculous. I thought only regionals did that kind of stuff.

Southwest does all sorts of crap that you'd think only regionals would do.

I'm guessing then that neither of you understand it, or why Southwest has it.

It's not the company doing it; it's the pilots. It's left over from back in the day when Southwest was very small and several times HK acquired airplanes and there was insufficient captains to utilize them fully. Having "spare captains allowed that flexibility.

For the past 10-15 years, the company has wanted to get rid of the program in the worst way, but the pilots want to keep it, as it's a mechanism to "grease the wheels" in order to allow for more trip trading and giveaway between pilots. During the last section six, the company insisted on getting rid of it, while the union fought to keep it; the compromise was to keep it with more restrictions and limitations. The program probably won't survive another section six or two; or at least that's the general consensus.

Basically it's an unnecessary remnant of the early days, but that the pilots like because it's a good deal for them. So not really ridiculous (or "rediculous")

Bubba

It's not really a good deal for them. They just think it is. A real good deal for the pilots would be to completely ditch your current schedule adjustment system and replace it with a real process that other legacy airlines have, including a minimum staffing formula and the ability to straight drop trips. But you're too busy stroking yourself and thinking about your W2 that isn't really all that anymore.

Except for making Billions of dollars. Kind of wierd a non-pilot is trolling pilot forums. Creepy indeed!

I would go there in a New York second if they called me.

It's not really a good deal for them. They just think it is. A real good deal for the pilots would be to completely ditch your current schedule adjustment system and replace it with a real process that other legacy airlines have, including a minimum staffing formula and the ability to straight drop trips. But you're too busy stroking yourself and thinking about your W2 that isn't really all that anymore.

If they can make it work for them, then it IS a good deal for them, despite your ALPA-based thought process. I don't know why that's so hard for you to comprehend. That's based on the company's manning model and business practices.

In order to replace our system with a "real process that other legacy airlines have," where one could "straight drop trips" regularly, Southwest would need a much higher reserve percentage than we do (we have something like 8-9% reserves), and hence a much overall greater pilot-per-plane ratio than we have. While I realize that's ALPA's gameplan--more pilots equals more dues-payers and money to Herndon--it's not the way we like it here. At Southwest, there's no maximum amount you can work, other than dictated by FARs. Other than months like February when the schedule's light, there's essentially no limit to how much you can pick up.....if you want to. The schedulers even say that they count on a certain percentage of pilots being greedy, in order to cover everything.

And I'm not stroking anything. There are plusses and minuses to every system that's out there. I work the amount I want to work. Other pilots here work much more than me, and are compensated as such. That's a flexibility that ALPA carriers don't offer.

Bubba

If they can make it work for them, then it IS a good deal for them, despite your ALPA-based thought process. I don't know why that's so hard for you to comprehend. That's based on the company's manning model and business practices.

In order to replace our system with a "real process that other legacy airlines have," where one could "straight drop trips" regularly, Southwest would need a much higher reserve percentage than we do (we have something like 8-9% reserves), and hence a much overall greater pilot-per-plane ratio than we have. While I realize that's ALPA's gameplan--more pilots equals more dues-payers and money to Herndon--it's not the way we like it here. At Southwest, there's no maximum amount you can work, other than dictated by FARs. Other than months like February when the schedule's light, there's essentially no limit to how much you can pick up.....if you want to. The schedulers even say that they count on a certain percentage of pilots being greedy, in order to cover everything.

And I'm not stroking anything. There are plusses and minuses to every system that's out there. I work the amount I want to work. Other pilots here work much more than me, and are compensated as such. That's a flexibility that ALPA carriers don't offer.

Bubba

This is the straight dope. It's not a perfect system, but definetaly the most lucrative one I've ever worked under. Less commutable is about the only real negative I see. But. I don't commute. Anymore. And I'm lancing in domicile. Why anyone would think that's worse than commuting to weekend reserve is beyond me.

Latest resources

Back