• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest trip drop question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm on the 73. I've had pretty good luck all year dropping and trading, but it helps that I like redeye trips.

Anyway, the lack of coverage is because of AirTran. If they would staff adequately, Flica works great. I'm surprised that the SWA pilots tolerate such an inferior system, in comparison.

so whats flica do? hows that work?

Automated system provided by an outside vender. Pretty common amongst airlines that don't use their own software.

It handles all drop, swap and bidding functions. Drops and swaps with other pilots and with the company.

A great system that is only hampered by Schedulings sticky little fingers.

I'm on the 73. I've had pretty good luck all year dropping and trading, but it helps that I like redeye trips.

Anyway, the lack of coverage is because of AirTran. If they would staff adequately, Flica works great. I'm surprised that the SWA pilots tolerate such an inferior system, in comparison.

If it's 'Redeyes 'you like, then I'm your man. I have an unlimited stock ready and waiting to be traded away. :)

I'm not sure that staffing numbers is the main problem. I think its an inept operational management that was staffed by 'USAir buddies" and clowns. Insufficient reserves and 4 day trips with 18 hours of block .... ?

Not enough reserves .... Everybody is working, except they're not actually flying. There is something wrong with this picture.

Yeah, you can tell when scheduling has been tampering with it when you see "pending" for no apparent reason.

Heh heh, people are afraid of me because they figure that anyone who likes redeyes is seriously disturbed. :nuts:

I'm a LAS relatively junior F/O, approx 80% down. I get a regular line, and try to give away, but rarely do any portions of it go. I still try to bid Premium flying, but only get that about 1 in 8 times, for the most senior guys outbid me.
My average bid line is about 105 TFP, and I try to pick up some premium flying to get about 120+ trips/month. This is not very difficult to achieve on a regular basis.
I still have 14+ days off a month.

cheers,
NAV

Interesting. So apparently you have no floor, meaning that there isn't a bottom number of hours (example: 35) that you must fly each month.
The only minimum flying that SWA requires is whatever is needed to maintain FAR landing currency. So in theory a SWA pilot could give away all but 1 day every 90 days. Another way to reduce flying is by ELITT, but that is restricted by the contract to only reducing your flying by 4 days. Even then someone would have had to pick up an extra day via ELITT in order for you to change a 3 day into a 2 day.

so whats flica do? hows that work?
To add on to what the other guy said about FLICA...

Besides AirTran, there are other Major airlines that use this system. Some of them are:

American
Delta
US Airways
JetBlue

plus some National size carriers like Virgin America and Spirit.

It really is a well thought out and easy to use system. Works on computers and smartphones from anywhere that has internet access. The only limitations are what your individual company places on the system. Or in other words, which "switches" your Management allows FLICA to turn On for you, and which ones they want turned Off. Ideally, you'd want Full Access/Full Transparency. With a progressive and employee-friendly company like SWA, I'd imagine that would be selected if they were so inclined.

After the two companies are fully integrated into one, it would be great if SWAPA would commission a study to compare their current system with FLICA to see which one is the most beneficial to the combined pilot group.

With a progressive and employee-friendly company like SWA, I'd imagine that would be selected if they were so inclined.
You would be in error thinking this. The veil of secrecy in what gets thrown out to view is why the process is so beneficial to the company, take that away (full transparency) and we would actually see what goes on behind the curtain, costing the company lots.

Latest resources

Back