• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest to buy AirTran...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Interesting thread. Very interesting in that one of the AAI MEC favors DOH. Right PCL?

Gup

I don't know what the MEC favors, but it doesn't really matter, since the MEC doesn't have anything to do with SLI. They get briefed, but they don't give direction or get involved in the strategy. That's all up to the Merger Committee. ALPA does things differently than SWAPA.

Those things are optional...save your money and go for the blazer and hat instead. You'll definitely be the BMOC then! Trust me...it'll look good on you:cool:

Thanks homeboy! Since you spent most of your adult life in the military, I'm sure you are a snappy dresser! Do the U2 guys wear ascots too?!?! Awesome pictures on your web site, very cool!

PCL,
Get used to how SWAPA does things because I doubt ALPA won't be influencing you too much longer!

KP,
We do wear ascots and smoking jackets as we drink Johnny Blue. BTW, we also speak through a stiff jaw and clenched teeth...old boy!

D

I don't know what the MEC favors, but it doesn't really matter, since the MEC doesn't have anything to do with SLI. They get briefed, but they don't give direction or get involved in the strategy. That's all up to the Merger Committee. ALPA does things differently than SWAPA.

Very different.

From a recent boxstuffer:

Process Agreement:
The procedure for SWAPA and ALPA to negotiate an integrated seniority list. This agreement is specific to our seniority integration talks and will not be affected by value extended to Southwest Airlines pilots in the Transition Agreement.
But your "transition team" (which has MEC members on it) is going to Process Agreement meetings? Apparently ALL of them?

I bet Steve Chase isn't going to any of the process agreement meetings.

From SWAPA VP:
The SWAPA NC and the AirTran Merger Committee seem to agree on the process of negotiating the SLI, but their Transition Team expressed a desire to address some of their transitional issues with AirTran/Southwest Airlines prior to our teams meeting again.
From ALPA:
"Members of the ATN MEC Merger Committee (MC) and Transition Team met again in Dallas on January 25-26 with members of the SWAPA Negotiations, Merger & Acquisition Committee. The purpose of the meetings was to close three remaining gaps in Process Agreement language. Substantial progress was made on these issues.

Disagreement remains on the critical issue of completing an operational merger within a specified time. As such, both sides agreed to defer further discussion. In the meantime, we will work instead to arrange a meeting between SWAPA, ALPA, and the managements of AirTran and Southwest, with the goal of concluding work on a Process Agreement; reaching a common understanding of the merger process; and discussing Transition Agreements to protect the interests of AirTran and Southwest pilots during the period between the Date of Corporate Closing (DOCC) and an operational merger of the two carriers. The MEC will have additional information on plans for those meetings, coming soon."
I've been ALPA; I can read between the lines.

FDJ2,
Are you telling me something new? Things at "good ole Southwestern Trailways" have been changing for the worse the last 5+ years!

D

FDJ2,
Are you telling me something new? Things at "good ole Southwestern Trailways" have been changing for the worse the last 5+ years!

D

Yeah, it's awful here!!!!

Wave,
Why don't you use the standard everything's great koolie response and tell me to go work somewhere else! You must have your head buried in the sand if you think every thing's good at SWA (i.e. discipline, downgrades, prolonged negotiations, etc.).

D

Bc that's not my point, D.
And I've worked at 5 airlines not named southwest- so the problems we do have... Excuse me for thinking are pretty well drummed up and petty. Actually- they're relative.
I don't judge you for pointing out the changes- Ive already seen some counter culture parts of flight ops- but I don't support the cool guy factor that says one must b/tch about every little problem when i know how hard I worked and how much politics I negotiated in the business world for $80k- and how much more problems I saw get self created at other places by pilot groups who looked down on anyone who dared to be happy with their job-
It is possible to hold two thoughts in mind at the same time- but I just haven't seen much to complain about here...
As much as I don't like usapa- talk to one of their 20 year junior FOs who used to be captains before b/tching about a few downgrades- or one of their Airbus captains who make far less than our FOs

"perspective. Use it or lose it." - Richard Bach

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back