• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest to buy AirTran...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All I know from the ATA perspective is that something's up. Lot's of individuals being shown the door around here lately. Mgt. has said sched. serv. is for sale and that HI is losing money. The individual that said that is now retiring and his position is not being refilled, but assumed by someone else higher up.

I'm not saying it's WN, but if you want Int'l ops. on the cheap, we're the way to do it.

All I know from the ATA perspective is that something's up. Lot's of individuals being shown the door around here lately. Mgt. has said sched. serv. is for sale and that HI is losing money. The individual that said that is now retiring and his position is not being refilled, but assumed by someone else higher up.

I'm not saying it's WN, but if you want Int'l ops. on the cheap, we're the way to do it.

Maybe AirTran will buy you to get the ATA gates in Midway.

Last edited:
Maybe AirTran will buy you to get the ATA gates in Midway.

Both of them?

The int'l certification and all that stuff would be good, but there would be no planes to fly the routes. There is no way in the world that SWA (one plane type) would take on a company with ump-teen plane types. Many of those planes which are limping many years past their prime. 737 to HI and leave the apu running? Nope. ATA is a plausible means to an end but there will have to be more pieces added to this puzzle.
As I stated before, what we do when the consolidation flood gates open will blindside all of us.

Whataburger,

It seems that the "scheduled service" portion of ATA is for sale.

It would be very easy to sell ATA with only the 737's and the Operating Certificate to SWA. The DC-10's 757's would then be fragmented off to World/NAA via GAL.

This would allow the codeshare to continue and expand, and eventually as SWA added ETOPS to it's certificate they could merge the two per some sort of arrangement with SWAPA.

I don't necessarily care to see that happen...but I think it is a strong possibility.

YKW

P.S. - Just read your profile and note that you flew the J3 with 85 hp. Awesome. I flew one for 2 whole hours, but it was only a 65hp ship. I, however, got my multi in an Apache, and I too proudly note that it was "The Geronimo" conversion with the BIG engines. Dam straight... yeah,booooy.

Last edited:
Gary Ellmer, Sr. Vice President and Chief Operating officer of ATA Airlines retired yesterday.

Numerous members of the ATA management including the charter department have been shown the door this last week. I expect to see our widebodies transferred to the other GAL subsidiaries soon. This, IMHO, is the pruning of ATA Airlines for the sale to SWA.

Of course, I have never been right trying to guess the outcome of airlines.

Latest resources

Back