• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest taxis past me while I roll out on landing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Im only hoping I get to work for SWA one day. Born and breed in Chicago and looking for that MDW base. I commuted on SWA for a year and loved it. They know how to get the job done and they don't waste time doing it. Im also sure most of them are making more then that 747 pilot.

I think I saw the video on TV.

Taxiing so fast that the brakes caught on fire, which required an Evacuation.

Maybe they should taxi a little slower.

I think I saw the video on TV.

Taxiing so fast that the brakes caught on fire, which required an Evacuation.

Maybe they should taxi a little slower.

Taxiing fast requires NO brakes.
Taxiing slow requires brakes.

I would know.

Gup

Whatever dude!! I like SWA but it's a job. Pay is good, the days off are plentiful, but tell me you weren't hoping you would be flying that 747 to Hong Kong instead of your 5th leg to OMA in some piece of crap -300?

It's a slog to get to that last leg especially if you are sitting next to some retard former fighter guy for 3 days.

I do fly that 747 to Hong Kong!!! For the pay I'd take leg 5 to OMA.

Taxiing fast requires NO brakes.
Taxiing slow requires brakes.

I would know.

Gup

Taxing fast heats up the brakes way more because you have to slow down from a higher speed which takes more brake pressure. (unless you plan on hitting something to stop you).
Taxing slow is the way to keep the brakes cooler.
With good technique, you can taxi slow without using a lot of braking, it's all in how well you manage your momentum.
Brake temps are a function of residual temp building up over time more than what you are doing at the moment.

Taxing fast heats up the brakes way more because you have to slow down from a higher speed which takes more brake pressure. (unless you plan on hitting something to stop you).
Taxing slow is the way to keep the brakes cooler.
With good technique, you can taxi slow without using a lot of braking, it's all in how well you manage your momentum.
Brake temps are a function of residual temp building up over time more than what you are doing at the moment.

Sooooooo, why not use the reversers at idle to slow you down? Yes i know a lot of carriers prohibit this, but why? Truthfully, you are allowed to use them on landing until stopped technically, so what would be the difference? You could then use minimal brakes from ANY taxi speed. I started to think about this after i witnessed many corporate birds doing just this thing. Just a thought...

Don't know for sure. Might be a FOD issue. Big planes are going to kick up much more crap on a crowded dirty taxiway. Used to do it to great effect on Lears.

My guess it would be a maintenance issue. A corporate jet might do how many extra reverse cycles in a typical week, 10-15? An airliner is going to do that many in a given day. I guess it's a trade off with the brakes.

Latest resources

Back