• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest taxis past me while I roll out on landing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry, I only brought it up because some idiot earlier in the thread used the boy's death in the MDW accident to score some points about SWA taxiing fast. I just replied that taxiing fast or hurrying had nothing to do with that accident.

I have flown with one or two of our fast taxi guys. although in the last 2 or 3 years, I think that I've only made the "groundspeed" call out 5 or 6 times, all with the same guy on the same trip, who is now on my avoidance bid list. seems like he wanted to sidewall stress test the tires around every corner. QUOTE]

Is that the new CRM? If someone isn't doing it right, just avoid them so someone else, probably junior, has to deal with them?

I was a good copilot and attempted to get him to slow down and taxi more normally. I was unsuccessful. He is a fine person and probably a good pilot. Maybe he was having a bad day or was tired from the commute. I don't know.

Maybe I'm the one with the problem. Maybe I follow some of the rules too closely. either way, life is too short and I value my license too highly to fly a whole month with him by choice. If he shows up, I'll fly. I don't think he is unsafe, just a little more comfortable bending the rules than me. or more precisely, he chooses to bend different ones than I do. or something like that. But thanks for your concern.

So, Mr. Rockwell, you have no one on your avoidance bid? You haven't flown with one pilot here at SWA that you'd rather not fly with again? or are you a Captain? maybe you're that guy. :) get many "groundspeed" calls as you careen around the airport at 40 knots?

Last edited:
I was a good copilot and attempted to get him to slow down and taxi more normally. I was unsuccessful. He is a fine person and probably a good pilot. Maybe he was having a bad day or was tired from the commute. I don't know.

Maybe I'm the one with the problem. Maybe I follow some of the rules too closely. either way, life is too short and I value my license too highly to fly a whole month with him by choice. If he shows up, I'll fly. I don't think he is unsafe, just a little more comfortable bending the rules than me. or more precisely, he chooses to bend different ones than I do. or something like that. But thanks for your concern.

So, Mr. Rockwell, you have no one on your avoidance bid? You haven't flown with one pilot here at SWA that you'd rather not fly with again? or are you a Captain? maybe you're that guy. :) get many "groundspeed" calls as you careen around the airport at 40 knots?

If you think it is an issue where you think that your certificate or safety is at issue, bring it up to the individual (sounds like you did), if that doesn't work, bring it to prof standards and then to a chief. The avoidance bid is too much of an easy way out, and it is human nature to take the path of least resistance, usually. We are all the problem when this mindset becomes the culture. It would be interesting to see how many on the avoidance list have never been mention to professional standards.

Never had anyone on avoidance, it wasn't available. I picked up a fair amount of OT with a guy that ended up being one of the top avoidance captains.

If I get a groundspeed call I hope that I will reply thank you and slow to 30 or less.

Use your heads. When your in a busy ramp area, lots of nearby airplanes and traffic --- slower taxi speeds.

A long mile or 2 mile taxi on a long straightaway taxiway -- absolutely no problem in taxiing at 29 knots with a 737 with steel brakes. Unless your a/c has some sort of mandated taxi speed restriction, there is extremely little safety added to taxi at 8 knots versus 25 knots on a long 2 mile taxiway, after all, the plane goes way over 100 knots on the ground on take-off and landing. If you see me taxi by you at 29knots while you are at 18 knots slowing down after your landing .....too bad and I don't care. You had your primary instructors back in your Cessna 150 days drum "no faster than a fast walk" into your heads so much that you can't get past it and out of your head. Use your brain -- allow the situation to dicatate your speed.

Latest resources

Back