• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There are really 170 poolies?
Thought it was less, impatiently
waiting for the application window
to open again.
Congrats to all you guys drying off for class!

Yup, plus or minus a few.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear the app window opening again soon though as this round of hiring will drain the pool.

There are really 170 poolies?
Thought it was less, impatiently
waiting for the application window
to open again.
There were 207 poolies, of which 33 didn't do the re-interview. Of the 174 that did the re-interview 6 were removed from the pool. Those 6 were removed for things such as being terminated and other issues that caused them not to be hireable, changes that were brought about due to the Colgan crash. That leaves SWA 20 short of the 188 they need for the scheduled classes. The word is that they will offer those slots to internals, such as flight instructors.

My friend said one of the main reasons they are hiring is because in general, the tenure of SW pilots is getting longer. Therefore, they need more pilots to cover for more vacation...especially among FOs. Also, they have seen rises in sick calls as hiring stopped. I guess junior guys who wanted days off would just call in sick. Real team players eh? Anyway, they are looking closer at that now and are going to get tough on guys abusing their sick leave. About time if you ask me.

They may need more pilots than are actually in the pool. He told me that if I got my retirement stuff squared away with the AF he might get me into a class later. I'm not sure if I'd have to interview or not. Even if I did, he said it would just be a formality.

Yup, plus or minus a few.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear the app window opening again soon though as this round of hiring will drain the pool.

Thanks putting it that way makes it sound a little more encouraging!

Latest resources

Back