Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
Xanderman- I could double my income if I got a dollar for everytime I heard another pilot predict that. You lose all credibility if you think ALL mgmt is the enemy. And ultimately, preventing the downfall of SWA through this acquisition is exactly what the demonstration was all about.

You're missing the point. Would you have had your "we love Gary" get together today if the AAI MEC had not voted the way they did? That's what I thought. So in the end this has nothing to do with your management. Gary just wants a solution. The AAI MEC just wants a fair one. You guys can't seem to check your ego at the door. To me that is very UNLIKE the SWA guys I've known over the years. This is just another testament to the reality that your airline is more like every other airline out there.

You're missing the point. Would you have had your "we love Gary" get together today if the AAI MEC had not voted the way they did? That's what I thought. So in the end this has nothing to do with your management. Gary just wants a solution. The AAI MEC just wants a fair one. You guys can't seem to check your ego at the door. To me that is very UNLIKE the SWA guys I've known over the years. This is just another testament to the reality that your airline is more like every other airline out there.

Dude have you read the papers. GK was a little ticked off. ALPA is doing a fine job.

Southwest Airlines pilots mill around in support of management

Maxon%20480X480.jpg

By

Terry Maxon/Reporter <A href="http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/authors.html#Terry Maxon/Reporter" rel=internal>

[email protected] |

Bio
4:39 PM on Tue., Aug. 23, 2011 | Permalink

Southwest Airlines pilots held a demonstration in support of chairman and CEO Gary Kelly and other Southwest managers on Tuesday afternoon.
But anyone expecting shouting, pickets and slogans - I wasn't expecting them, by the way - would have been disappointed.
There was no such. Instead, it was simply a couple hundred Southwest pilots who showed up and stood around outside Southwest's Dallas headquarters to support the airline's management.

Southwest%20pilots%2C%20support%20event%2C%20blog%20Aug.%2023%2C%202011.jpg
(CREDIT: Terry Maxon/Dallas Morning News)

Support against what? you might ask. Well, last week, pilot leadership at AirTran Airways decided not to send a proposed agreement to its members, a deal that would spell out how AirTran's pilots would be folded into the Southwest seniority list.
Southwest executives spoke out in praise of the agreement between airline, Southwest union and AirTran union when first announced in July, and said it showed how everybody could work together in the merger of Southwest and
AirTran.
So, when the master executive council of the Air Line Pilots Association voted down the proposal, it was an unhappy development for Southwest.
The Southwest Airlines Pilots' Association didn't organize the event, but provided water and support after some of its members hurriedly put it together.
"The Southwest pilots are showing up here today in support of Southwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines leadership, our people, our culture and the success of our company," said Dallas pilot Jacob North, communications chairman for SWAPA.
"It's fair to say our pilots have always supported our company. In light o recent events in the acquisition, we just wanted our company to know that we do in fact support Southwest Airlines and its people going forward."
Asked if it was intended negatively toward anyone, North said, "Absolutely not."
Southwest executive vice president Mike Van de Ven came out briefly to chat with the pilots in the 104-degree heat, but made no speech. Southwest spokesman Paul Flaningan said the company appreciated the pilots' support.
"At Southwest Airlines, we've always supported our employees' right to express themselves. This is a show of support for the company, and we appreciate
their efforts and appreciate their intentions," Flaningan said.
As to any messages being sent, Flaningan said it was "a show of support for the company, for our leadership and what they're trying to do.
"Integration processes aren't always easy, but everyone's working hard and wants the same outcome, and I think that's what this is all about, just showing support to the leaders that they're behind them and that we're working together to achieve that one outcome that we all want."
(Kelly didn't show up during the time I was outside with the pilots, although I started feeling the effects of the heat and left before the pilots dispersed.)

Next, they might picket the arbitrators' houses! Then, in a show of solidarity, they will all strip down and have a bonfire on Galveston Beach, and sing "We are the Champions". Awesome!

OYS

Meanwhile Delta adds yet another DCI carrier to haul their pax around.

Last edited:
Did I mention Delta Sucks!

ME--:uzi::eek:--DELTA​

Where is my old friend and favorite ALPA desk jockey, PCL these days. He is very quiet to be in charge of Comm?

footnote: I'm drinking again tonight as I'm on vacation and my kids which I love dearly are freaking getting on my nerves. So, I take it out on PCL. Sorry dude, someone has to be it.

Where is my old friend and favorite ALPA desk jockey, PCL these days. He is very quiet to be in charge of Comm?

footnote: I'm drinking again tonight as I'm on vacation and my kids which I love dearly are freaking getting on my nerves. So, I take it out on PCL. Sorry dude, someone has to be it.

Do you let your kids see their Mother dressed like that on the boat?

Well, here is the word from Steve regarding our little 'get-together' today.

Executive Blog - August 23, 2011
From your SWAPA President, Steve Chase
Fellow SWAPA Pilots,
I can honestly say that I’ve never been more proud to be a Southwest pilot than I am today. I was humbled to see the tremendous showing of support that many of you displayed by coming out to SWA Headquarters this afternoon. The fact that we had pilots from every corner of the country fly to Dallas to show support for our Company, our Union, and the Southwest Culture speaks to the very heart of why our airline has been so successful over the years. We truly have something special here at Southwest Airlines, and it is worth protecting.
You all demonstrated today how much you “LUV” our Company, and that you support Southwest leadership’s recent affirmations that they will protect the Southwest Culture. That you all did this so professionally, respectfully, and peacefully makes a bold statement about how Southwest pilots truly are leaders…not just at our Company, but in the industry. Believe me, this was not lost on Gary and Mike in our meeting today. Our meeting went a little longer than scheduled so I didn't get a chance to thank each of you afterward that stuck around in the heat.
I’ll keep this blog brief, as we are now off to D.C. to meet with our legal team to discuss our next steps. But for now, I just wanted to say THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for your support today. I’m happy to say the Warrior Spirit is alive and well at Southwest Airlines.
Fly safe,
Steve Chase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back