• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest offers buyouts to quarter of workers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We are running at 20% fewer employees per aircraft than we were 6 years ago.

We're not laying off anybody. It is a management tactic to try to get the upper pay scales to go away. If you want it great. If not then see you Monday morning at 8am.

You guys really don't know what to make of an airline management that actually manages. You're used to pay cuts, fleet selloffs and contract breakers who give themselves a huge bonus for a job well done.

We're not perfect by a long shot but I'm very happy to see us once again leading instead of just making decisions for the sake of doing something.

Gup

Evidently selling tickets at a loss is no longer a viable way to gain market share anymore. Oops......only in this business!

Yeah, but its a nice trailer park. Ask General Lee, he lives there along with his 2nd personality; Heavy Set. SWA/FO the trailer lord. I like it!!!

25% of the staff?!! and you're calling him the moron? pull your head out of that canyon blue sand and receive the reality check.

What is says is 25% of all employees are eliglible for the voluntary buyout. Please stop with the sensational spin. This was done a couple of years ago also.

My next door neighbor is an SWA FA. Just told me about it this evening. He's been there 18-20 years and is considering it.

The real news. He's straight! His wife is handicapped, MS I think. Didn't mention what he'd do for a living. NOMB.

I'd say a buyout is better than looking for excuses to fire people. ATA is kinda doing that now. Giving the FA's a rash of sh!t on an individual basis and messing with what few mechanics we have left.

Hi!

I've never heard of a company offering buyouts unless they needed to improve their financial position, which meant that they weren't do as well as they'd like.

Is this somehow different?

For example, neither Toyota, Hyunday, or Honda is offering their employees buyouts, and they're doing very well financially.

The Big 3 are struggling, and they are offering plenty of buyouts.

cliff
YIP

Dude,

We are still actively hiring into the groups that we are offering early out. We did this in '04. its nothing new.

Hi!

Hopefully this works for SWA, and they keep doing great.

cliff
YIP

Evidently selling tickets at a loss is no longer a viable way to gain market share anymore. Oops......only in this business!

Um, we're the one selling tickets at a profit - I guess math wasn't your strong suit .....

For all those with poor reading skills this buyout is not for pilots and while it applies to 25% of the workforce it will not be taken by any thing closer to that number. Hopefully we can get rid of some of our less motivated senior employees.

This isn't the first time we've done this either ....

I bet we close another res center soon.

Latest resources

Back