• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest offers buyouts to quarter of workers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I doubt we close another res center. After we did that, we suddenly found ourselves in a hiring crunch for res agents. Even though more res agents stayed on than I think SWA planned for, we suddenly started seeing postings on SWALife to hire res agents at those remaining centers. For whatever reason, it sounded like the customers returned to using the SWA res agents. It kind of matches what other airlines are seeing - the number of customers are returning, but nobody is getting as high of yield as they really want.

And while a higher percentage of traffic has gone to southwest.com, there are still those who need technical help and will call a res agent.

This buyout is strictly a proactive move, IMHO - nothing more or less. Part of it came from employees who requested another buyout similar to the Freedom 04 package. The other reason is, yes, it will help get our costs down. It's a win/win. But unlike the Freedom 04 deal, you're seeing more restrictions on this one as to whom can actually take advantage of the deal.

Some people can spin it into doom and gloom, I suppose, but I see it as a responsible, proactive, and employee-friendly move. And I've been here long enough to see quite a bit.

The company did this 8 years ago when I was a ramp agent. Just another way to help keep costs down and keep the company from getting to top heavy. It mostly applies to ramp, csr, ops, FA's and NOT pilot's. It really is only a good deal for someone that is close to retiring or has a second job anyway, and most don't opt to do it.

Yeah, a trailer park!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Just ask his parents!

Where is your 1/3 truck avtar? Were you feeling dirty about it. Why did you change it?

My parents have passed away, show some respect. Dad died of a broken heart, cus Delta screwed him, by cutting his retirement coverage and pay. I think his last words were..."those young bastards at Delta have forgotten about the guys that build the company, they only care about themselves."

We had to sell the trailer to pay for the funeral and the remaining money went to Delta to pay his last medical bill/co-pays. Very sad.:bawling:

the SWA/FO

Um, we're the one selling tickets at a profit - I guess math wasn't your strong suit .....

For all those with poor reading skills this buyout is not for pilots and while it applies to 25% of the workforce it will not be taken by any thing closer to that number. Hopefully we can get rid of some of our less motivated senior employees.

This isn't the first time we've done this either ....

I bet we close another res center soon.

Of course "Sale and Leaseback" of aircraft helps smooth out the bottom line in tough times.

Of course "Sale and Leaseback" of aircraft helps smooth out the bottom line in tough times.

better then the "rape and pillage" some airlines offer their employees.

Hi!

I've never heard of a company offering buyouts unless they needed to improve their financial position, which meant that they weren't do as well as they'd like.

Is this somehow different?

For example, neither Toyota, Hyunday, or Honda is offering their employees buyouts, and they're doing very well financially.

The Big 3 are struggling, and they are offering plenty of buyouts.

cliff
YIP

Lets see we made money AGAIN! so yes pay cuts are comming oh my god run run get away go to delta go now.

Latest resources

Back