Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Its pretty simple

Rushing in an airplane bends metal and could and does hurt people

Last time I checked.... the plane is going quite fast when it slams into the ground on landing. Sliding off a taxi way into the grass is not going to damage it. Man you are worse than the media.

Seriously though, it puts a pretty big pit in your stomach when you try to turn and the plane just keeps going straight. You realize your just along for the ride.

I can identify with your first sentence. I disagree with your second. That's why the Capt is paid the big bucks; to not be "along for the ride".

I was a "baby" Capt on the 727, maybe 10 hours since my ioe was signed off. Landing in DTW just after dark. The temp was dropping and the runway was going from cold water to ice quickly. Of course tower had a NWA 3 miles behind me. The 2 previous arrivals had hinted at less than good braking reports. As I came out of reverse (80 kts) I started to brake. Immediately I could tell it was slick as snot. I told the F/O & F/E I was going back into reverse 'cause of the braking and also said: "Tell him we will miss the next taxiway". I used reverse way below the normal speed and slowed to a crawl and picked out the next taxiway. Of course tower had to send NWA around. NWA had some choice words, I told the copilot to call the braking "poor".

I was going dead slow as I turned off the runway and the nosewheel still wanted to slip and slide. But I'll tell you I was glad to buy the crew a couple beers that night!

Jerkoffs or not, if there wasn't an apparent correlation between SWA and the 45kt taxi, I really don't think anyone would be saying anything here. Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

45 is only on Day, VFR, Dry.... snow is limited to 40 straight and 30 in a turn. :D

You know IT,,,,,,,(,High five) Darthvader balloon man,( so cool) you never know who's flyn the corndog huh?? , I just told my buddy (check airman SWA) they should do something. ( he's really cool, he goes to the BOQ and the STP,ETC, ETC,) about all the pervs that were hired... Anyway, that will change. They have a new thing at higher power about blizzards and braking, ( way beyond me) but anyway ACE that and your golden at SWA, Rainbows!!!!!

In other news....my tire dropped off the edge of the driveway today as I was backing out. Oh, the horror!!!

It's been really entertaining reading Megatool's post. Worth every dollar of my original ten dollar fee.

It's obvious who the Management Pilots, or wannabes, are on this thread. They're the ones who are so fast to blame the flight crew as always. Please do us all a favor and stay off this forum, and get back to shafting pilots.

Latest resources

Back