• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest not requiring a type anymore?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually, there are at least a couple other airlines hiring that have been making profits for a while, they just happen to fly boxes instead of people. You do need the FE written however.

FJ

Falconjet said:
Actually, there are at least a couple other airlines hiring that have been making profits for a while, they just happen to fly boxes instead of people. You do need the FE written however.

FJ

Alaska is profitable and hiring. As is Continental. Oh and Jetblue. Oh I think I heard Airtran is hiring to. SWA is not the only show in town (though they may be the best show, at least for now).

L'il J.Seinfeld said:
satpak77 said:
LUV is like most any other dream job, darn competitive, it helps if someone walks in your resume to the HR/CP/CEO/etc, and you yourself need to be competive.

Satpak your $.02 worth is wrong. SWA does not work that way. They do not take walked in resumes. Internal recs only help after you have gotten the interview. It's a level playing field and plenty of folks are getting hired without knowing anyone there--I was one of them, although I did not accept the class.

OK well that reduces the argument that you need all the magical boxes checked, one of which is "walk in by sponsor".

good to hear

sf260pilot said:
They have interviewed some folks lately who do not hold the type. Apparently the stack of resumes with the type has dwindled.

With that being said, what is the typical length of time from Offer Letter to Class date?

Be a heck of a thing to get the offer letter and have to wait a few months to get on property while all those numbers with types skip to the front of the line.

Just a thought while you contemplate playing the SWA hire game.

normally a couple of months. Things seem a bit backed up b/c classes were cancelled due to the Boeing strike. Last i heard the pool is just over 100. I think Jun/Jul guys are starting class this month.

No Call from SWAPD

Again, I'm completely confused on what parameters SWA are using for selecting interviewees.

Original App: Aug2002
B-737 Type: Aug2003
Turb PIC: 2100
TT: 4700
36mo: 950

= No Call - Nothing! :puke:

:confused:P3 Tweek

PS. Happy 230 yr (belated) Birthday Jarheads - Oh Rah! God Bless You All!!!

Last edited:
ACAFool said:
Alaska is profitable and hiring. As is Continental. Oh and Jetblue. Oh I think I heard Airtran is hiring to. SWA is not the only show in town (though they may be the best show, at least for now).

CAL and JB are expected to post losses for the year. CAL lost $115M in Oct. AT had a small loss in Q3.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/051104/continental_airlines_outlook.html?.v=2

http://news.corporate.findlaw.com/ap/f/66/10-20-2005/3cff0012b5770bed.html

http://in.news.yahoo.com/051027/137/60ru2.html

str8upflyrght said:
normally a couple of months. Things seem a bit backed up b/c classes were cancelled due to the Boeing strike. Last i heard the pool is just over 100. I think Jun/Jul guys are starting class this month.

I don't know what normally means, but my wait was over 2 years. That is the problem, there is no normal and you never know when the next "strike" or whatever will cause them to suspend hiring for some amount of time.

Hopefully the folks in the pool will get into classes soon.

Don't give up the day job until you are in a class.

FJ

FJ,
I couldn't agree w/ you more. By normal, i meant past year or so, based on my friends experience. I've heard the horror stories of guys slated to start in late '01. I'm hoping to start in Jan, but i'll be a little pessimistic until i get to Dallas.

Not to pull the gear up

SWA/FO said:
You can't have mine...I still need it

You won't need it for about 5 more years.

Latest resources

Back