Southwest not requiring a type anymore?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CesnaCaptn said:
I don't even think you need checkairman or 2000 pic. I think they're calling people with less than 1500 turbine pic.
Yet numerous FI contributors with many more hours write to let us know that they have yet to get a call. Obiviously, SWA is looking at a great deal more than just the amount of PIC turbine time.

Now, does anyone know of a way to bribe a CP?

:)

LUV is like most any other dream job, darn competitive, it helps if someone walks in your resume to the HR/CP/CEO/etc, and you yourself need to be competive.

Based on this site and local FBO pilot lounge gossip, LUV wants 1500-2000 turbine PIC, a B737 type, and ideally some check airmen/company IP time. 121 time and/or military is desired also.

WITH THAT SAID, all this "you need to be a astronaut/Blue Angels pilot/Top Gun graduate/USAF Test Pilot School graduate/etc etc" is a little much and I am not buying it.

I have three friends that got hired at LUV, and NONE of them were military guys, one wasn't even a former commuter/regional guy (in addition to being non-military).

Like anything else, networking, solid credentials, some inside help, and meeting the current desired qualifications, will all probably help your chances at an interview.

Just my 2 cents

later

Wow! What were the stats of the people getting interviewed without a type??

I have the 737 type and the pic turb time (Just under 2000) and havent heard a peep! I dont have any check airman experience which I did hear they like.

Thanks

I took the $8000 for a type and reinvested in the interview board... Standard fare "I have $2000 that says I should get a job"... Next thing you know I'm getting interviewed. Got the job now I have to get a type... $16000 garanteed is better than taking chances for $8000

If someone has their type rating they can go to class right away. They do not have to wait for a type rating class and then wait for a class at SWA. Now figure that the age 60 rule stays in place for the next 25-30 years, and the applicant is over the age of 30, those lost months at top out pay are worth a lot more than $16000.

Ok last I heard you are paying for a type rating for the honor and the privledge of an interview. Some people wont even get the job from said interivew.
I was just spitballing and saying... Why not pay $8000 for the job. Then get the type rating. In closing $16000 for a job at Southwest is better than paying $8000 for a hope and prayer.

My type was FREE thanks to the WIA. If it wasnt for that I dont think I would spend the 8K. But I wouldnt hold it against the person that does either.

Last edited:
You don't need to know anyone

satpak77 said:
LUV is like most any other dream job, darn competitive, it helps if someone walks in your resume to the HR/CP/CEO/etc, and you yourself need to be competive.

Satpak your $.02 worth is wrong. SWA does not work that way. They do not take walked in resumes. Internal recs only help after you have gotten the interview. It's a level playing field and plenty of folks are getting hired without knowing anyone there--I was one of them, although I did not accept the class.

Ask the guys who have interviewed lately without the type rating, and got a job offer, if they wished now that they could go to class sooner. It is putting all of your eggs in one basket, but that basket has been the only airline hiring, the only profitable airline of rescent. Besides that $8K is tax deductible as continued education.

Latest resources

Back