Southwest nightmare update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mvi

First, I just wanted to thank all you for your support and help. I even had Southwest guys calling me to see what they can find out. Cool guys I would like to fly with someday.

What I found out was that I was black-balled. THis is unbelievable. I do not have any enemies, I don't think. I get along with every person I fly with and haven't done anything to anyone that would cause someone to ruin my life and cost me $7500. I hope I can fix this but I don't know anything about this black ball thing. I have about 10 friends at Southwest and know for a fact that they would no do this to me.

If anyone is reading this that did black ball me please give me a private email and we can talk about why? Thanks everyone.

Hope you get it straightened out, sounds like a real pain in the a##. Do you think a line pilot would have the power to black-ball someone from the industry or do you think it was a HR/MGT type? Possibly they have the wrong guy, i've heard of people sharing names with previous scabs and going through quite a bit of grief trying to ride jumpseats, etc. Best of luck!

mvi,

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. This exact same thing happened to a captain I flew with in '95. He listed his F/O's from the commuter we were at as his references. He checked with each of them before listing them and he assumed they all liked him and wanted him to get the job.

Same as you, he got rejected and couldn't figure out why. Several weeks later he found out, through mutual friends, one of his references told SW this guy was not the type of person SW should hire. This reference called him 'unstable' and an 'improper fit' with Southwest. My friend was crushed.

Come to find out the person that blackballed him only flew with him once and really didn't 'know' him. He based his slandering on things he heard. Total B.S.

I hope things work out for you. BTW - This guy never did get on flying for Southwest even though he was a great guy.

If SWA made a hiring decison based on an undocumented and unsubstantiated negative comment from one person then it is the company that has the problem, not you. If they reneged based on your background check then it should be an easy matter for them to show you what they found and give you the chance to explain. Either way their handling of this matter appears to be at best unprofessional and certainly unkind. So much for putting people first. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise.

That is the way SWA does business. They rely heavily on the opinions of their own people.

When I was interviewed I was told about the list of prospective candiates that was hung up somewhere in the SWA complex. Anyone was free to comment. Although, I was told that a negative review from a current pilot would have to be substantiated...not just hearsay.

My favorite story told to us when I interviewed was about the former Air Force One pilot that was coming to the interview. Seems he was a bit rude to the gate agent while coming to Dallas. One phone call and his interview was cancelled.

Yeah, Right

That "Urban Legend" has been circulating for years - I can't believe a gate agent has that much influence over any pilot's job interview - yet alone an Air Force One pilot.....

I have met a couple Air Force One pilots over the years (and 89th Andrews AFB guys=C-21, C-9 and B757) and with respect to their flying skills and personalities they are no doubt the best - period. Just my observation

Seniority IS everything :D

Last edited:
Not trying to be a hard arse here, but dude don't beg. Whoever blackballed you most likely will not call you up and say that he/she is sorry.
Next, my SWA story is essentially the same as yours. I was shot down, (note to the naysayers. Even though it took three years to confirm, I do have enough friends on the inside to confirm this to at least 99% ) by an unsolicited call from a previous employer. He made the call in an attempt to get them to tell him if was going to get hired because he thought that I was stringing him along, but apparenly decided to make a few comments at the same time. He admits to the call, BTW. Bottom line, SWA took an unsolicited call from someone who's identity they couldn't verify, and took me off of the hire list even after I had already taken the preemployment drug test. In all fairness, I did not receive a written offer, but my buds tell me that at that time, you didn't get the drug screen call until after the decision committee met.
One more statement in fairness. I tried again two years later and didn't even get through the interview. The second failure probably came from overconfidence because I thought that since I had passed the interview earlier that it would be a breeze the second time.
Oh well, the current job is pretty dang good and easier to boot. Just not as much money.
8N

Here's an idea:

I beat the pulp outta the Xxpress guy, then someone can take over and beat on the pulp for a while.

HC

Latest resources

Back