• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest New Hire/Airtran questions for Southwest guys/gals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pretty tragic that an airline in this day and age does not have adequate manuals for the aircraft that they operate. Please don't start on the (pilots come with a type) argument because that is a piss poor excuse at best. If you are coming from the FAT side download the 737 manual to a flash drive. It provide much better information in one location. The SW manuals are poorly constructed and you will be switching between multiple manuals to find the information that you are looking for. The training department does a good job and the training devices are excellent. With the ramp up in training you will be hard pressed to find time to get into them because of the priority when signing up for some time. Couple that with the poor shuttle service from the hotel that the FAT pilots are being billeted at and you will be forced to pay for a cab to get some time in the box late at night or early in the morning. Best of luck and enjoy it.

So...the Bulfer stuff is cockpit companion? Your link is for the combo one, do you mean the Southwest version they have? It sounds like I should drive out there..... just 12 hours:)

Pretty tragic that an airline in this day and age does not have adequate manuals for the aircraft that they operate. Please don't start on the (pilots come with a type) argument because that is a piss poor excuse at best. If you are coming from the FAT side download the 737 manual to a flash drive. It provide much better information in one location. The SW manuals are poorly constructed and you will be switching between multiple manuals to find the information that you are looking for. The training department does a good job and the training devices are excellent. With the ramp up in training you will be hard pressed to find time to get into them because of the priority when signing up for some time. Couple that with the poor shuttle service from the hotel that the FAT pilots are being billeted at and you will be forced to pay for a cab to get some time in the box late at night or early in the morning. Best of luck and enjoy it.

What hotel are you refering to? Stayed at the Wyndham in Nov and saw heaps of Air Tran there. Worst case scenario is a 30 min wait. And I emphasize worst case. :confused:

FYI: Bill Bulfer (the 737 book guy) is a CO scab.

Just in case anyone besides me still cares about that kind of thing.

I'm assuming he was talking about a 3rd hotel downtown that is being used to board people during training. I was in DAL last week for a PT and saw a whole class of AirTran transitions staying at the Wyndham. Plus 2 new hire classes. PC, PT's and upgrades seem to be spit between Wyndham and Renaissance. Luck of the draw I guess, although I believe classes are kept together.

I just finished the type rating at SWA training in November.

- get the Bulfer book. SWA training is not set up for type rating people. The training center broad brushes the systems. A lot of study on your own.

- the people at the training center are super and will work with you on anything.

- my leather jacket has been on order for three months. The sales person that shows up at the training center will not return emails or calls. I have to call the company directly and cajole them for information. I wear a black north face soft shell in the mean time.

- stay at the Wyndham. Free happy hour. Easy ride to the center. I did bring my car down though. Worth it.

Latest resources

Back