Southwest looks to grow where rivals downsize

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Back to the original topic of SWA amazing growth

How fluck did the DAL CEO convince GK to only fly one direct flight from all the west coast cities to Atlanta? One direct flight ! Not only did GK give up all but one direct flight to the busiest airport in the world, he also made the only flight a day a red eye.

LAX to ATL. One flight a day and it's a red eye. SFO and SEA are the same. I guess there's no money in it ? DAL must be losing money on the twelve flights a day that are all full ?

Bravo GK. Bravo Sir. Atlanta has been conquered.

True-
You should be CEO dicko

We all know that, but Gary's got the job

Back to the original topic of SWA amazing growth

How fluck did the DAL CEO convince GK to only fly one direct flight from all the west coast cities to Atlanta? One direct flight ! Not only did GK give up all but one direct flight to the busiest airport in the world, he also made the only flight a day a red eye.

LAX to ATL. One flight a day and it's a red eye. SFO and SEA are the same. I guess there's no money in it ? DAL must be losing money on the twelve flights a day that are all full ?

Bravo GK. Bravo Sir. Atlanta has been conquered.

I know Red and Wave can't wait to fly those allnighters! Combine a West Coast to ATL allnighter with a LBB layover a day later within the 4 day trip, and I can totally see why you guys would never apply to a legacy during this upcoming hiring boom.

Bye Bye---General Lee

So I have no dog in this fight nor will I ever and I have friends at both companies...
I have been reading these debates for awhile and can't help but laugh... How exactly does having a college degree compare to being required to have a type rating? Unless you went to riddle or und or some other four year flight academy do you really know you want to be a pilot? Much less at delta? I have a degree in geography... Wanted to be a teacher but flying caught my interest more... Having that degree makes me a PFT'er? I don't think so... Yet once someone has chosen the path to become a pilot at this day and age and they know they want to get on at southwest they HAVE to get a type rating... Side question... How many get hired at southwest who don't have a four year degree? Just curious... I honestly don't know the answer...
I believe compass is another company that makes you pay for your type... Are they PFT? They are regional so I'm gonna guess yes... The argument that you can write it off on taxes is great... Justify it all you want...
I'm not bashing anyone for the path they take to get their dream job... I just have to laugh at the continued denial of paying for a type rating to get a job. It cannot be disputed. Cough up 5-7k and in a week it's done... Boom. Awesome. They have a type rating that only one airline requires... Have a degree and you have marketability for multiple airlines that may have "college preferred"...
Feel free to explain it to me better... The IPA at the hotel bar is now blurring my thought process... Be stoked you all have good jobs and not suffering like the guys in the regionals trying to jump ship to better paying pastures...

And no I'm not at a regional and no I have never nor plan to apply at either southwest or delta(both kickass companies)

So I have no dog in this fight nor will I ever and I have friends at both companies...
I have been reading these debates for awhile and can't help but laugh... How exactly does having a college degree compare to being required to have a type rating? Unless you went to riddle or und or some other four year flight academy do you really know you want to be a pilot? Much less at delta? I have a degree in geography... Wanted to be a teacher but flying caught my interest more... Having that degree makes me a PFT'er? I don't think so... Yet once someone has chosen the path to become a pilot at this day and age and they know they want to get on at southwest they HAVE to get a type rating... Side question... How many get hired at southwest who don't have a four year degree? Just curious... I honestly don't know the answer...
I believe compass is another company that makes you pay for your type... Are they PFT? They are regional so I'm gonna guess yes... The argument that you can write it off on taxes is great... Justify it all you want...
I'm not bashing anyone for the path they take to get their dream job... I just have to laugh at the continued denial of paying for a type rating to get a job. It cannot be disputed. Cough up 5-7k and in a week it's done... Boom. Awesome. They have a type rating that only one airline requires... Have a degree and you have marketability for multiple airlines that may have "college preferred"...
Feel free to explain it to me better... The IPA at the hotel bar is now blurring my thought process... Be stoked you all have good jobs and not suffering like the guys in the regionals trying to jump ship to better paying pastures...

I had a type before hiring, didn't pay a penny, got hired anyway, sorry to burst your bubble. So no it's not PFT. PFT is paying the company or owing the company some monetary sum, sorry. next.

By your logic, though, your college degree is PFT, your ATP, private, commercial, multi, all of it, PFT. If your company was so pure and didn't require all those things, shouldn't they do the right thing and hire you off the street and GIVE you all those ratings?

SWA is not PFT. Grow up.

Last edited:
By my logic? I said I got a degree before I decided I wanted to be a pilot... What!? Congrats you had the type before hand... YOU did not have to go out of your way to get a type rating... Others do... By YOUR logic EVERY pilot that becomes an airline pilot is PFT... I don't give two s__ts about how people got where they did... They got there and should be stoked! I remember now why I stopped posting... Some uptight people on here...

Well said, I don't fault anyone if they want to buy a type to get a job. It's particularly hypocritical for legacy pilots to point fingers. Their ranks are filled with senior pilots who bought an F/E rating to get the job. That said, it is hardly comparable to an airline requiring a higher level of education (college degree) from its applicants. Buying a type certainly has been a good investment for someone if it got them the job they wanted at SWA, and you can say the same about someone who bought RJ training if it got them the experience they needed to move up in their career.

All of us have done what we felt we had to do to become qualified pilots. I flew DC-3's for free when I was 19 and flew B-99's for peanuts in a hope to get a job with the "Majors". It paid off. I'm sure as he'll not gonna ridicule what anybody does to advance themselves ( except scabbing).

Well said dan

And I'm there with you on college-
For me, college was worth twice what I paid and it wasn't cheap- but I absolutely believe in personal development - for me, college was integral in that and continues to be. Still love taking classes here and there even if not in a college environment. You're either curious or not, educated or not- college opened up lots of doors and my mind to various careers and even ways of life. Now ya if ever regret that degree regardless of job requirements

I think it's dumb to compare the type to a degree as well

But it's just as dumb to criticize swa for the type requirement. They clearly can command it, so what's it to anyone if it's there?

Only those with an invested interest in the homogenization of airline pilots cares.

Latest resources

Back