• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Line on Credit?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You're welcome SWA. You will feel two things the first time you are allowed to sit left seat with an AirTran pilot.
1. You will feel overwhelmed by his ability to make 737 do things you had only imagined. Otherwise known as ACARs weight & balance and the FO starting an engine while the CA taxis. It is a ballet on the flight deck.
2. You will feel a calm overcome you and a peace you had only read about in church. That is the awesome. It radiates from all of us. Not from us, the calm is from actually using automation!

I don't know why we have to keep explaining this.

:D

Phred

Unfortunately we lost $273 million in 2008 due to $4/gallon Jet A. If Jet A prices wouldn't have crashed in late 2008, our furloughed pilots would have spent a lot longer than 6 months out of the cockpit.
And where would AAI be with gas prices now and the last couple of years? Plus raises?

And where would AAI be with gas prices now and the last couple of years? Plus raises?

The same question could be asked about SWA. All I hear is "labor costs" being spoken about from management. Picketing has now started with labor groups. Zero growth and no international ops. Things weren't all roses. The AirTran acquisition was a necessity, not a charity.

You can look at the history of either airline, and pull out the data you want in order to "prove" any dubious point you want to make. . . . and none of these "points" will change anyone's opinion. Neither side feels like they got a fair deal.
That is true. The facts are AirTran's last annual loss was in 2008 while Southwest's last annual loss was in 1972. It is also a fact that AirTran's last furlough was in the fall of 2008 while Southwest has never furloughed a pilot.

Those facts would have been presented to the arbitration panel had the Southwest or AirTran pilots not approved a negotiated deal. From my conversations with former Merger Committee members of other airlines, it is apparent most pilots groups overestimate their arbitration case and were shocked by the arbitrator's award when it came out. I believe a good portion of both the AirTran and Southwest pilot groups overestimated their arbitration case in our situation.

Using your logic Max, had WN merged with US, AA, UCAL, etc. those pilot groups could have expected the same fate from an arbitrator that you believe we would have.

While you are making your new mgmt. and future union brothers proud, your attempts to justify your failure are sickening.

Otherwise known as ACARs weight & balance and the FO starting an engine while the CA taxis. It is a ballet on the flight deck.

Not from us, the calm is from actually using automation!

Phred

ACARS weight & balance :rolleyes: The OPC is sooo labor intensive.

Actually the calm is knowing that the person you are flying with can function without the automation.

Hahahah now that's a good beoch slap :)

Ty.... Not everybody is good at/in Real Estate. I just wish he would go do something else.

ACARS weight & balance :rolleyes: The OPC is sooo labor intensive.

Actually the calm is knowing that the person you are flying with can function without the automation.

You can roll your eyes, but once you use it you'll see what we're talking about. Ask your ops agents how nice it is working AT flights. They don't have to do anything. Everything is automated and easier on all parties involved. If ACARS isn't working then you're free to use the Tandy 1000 in your cockpit.

Had an OPC MEL'd last week. Got numbers on ACARS. For the first time since I have been at SWA, I had to say we are not ready we waiting on our numbers. We both said yep we have made it to AMR finally. Several minutes later we got the info. It is a nice format and not new here it just isnt used that much. The lack of urgency from dispatch was the frustrating part.

I feel it's important to reiterate that the system AT uses which SWA is interested in, does not depend on manual inputs from dispatch to achieve performance numbers. It is automated and very efficient. Will cost the Ops agents their jobs in all likelihood. One other benefit to the Aerodata method is that you also get two snapshots (planned weight and planned weight plus 4,000 lbs) in your dispatch paperwork. So if you want to enter the numbers manually and go you can. It just might not be the most fuel efficient power setting. But you don't have to take a delay that way. Should there be a a big atmospheric difference you would have to break down and use dispatch. It works well.

Latest resources

Back