• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Line on Credit?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The current Group B4 ALPA EVP and former MEC Vice Chair never sponged off our dues. He did a great job helping the AirTran pilots secure a new CBA with $40 million/yr in gains and a much improved reserve system (pilots in the top 100 now bid reserve if that tells you something).

While we disagree tremendously on SLI issues, I never saw him as a union slacker. There were individuals who milked the system as MEC and MEC Committee members, but he wasn't one of them.

In reality, very few union volunteers actually bilk the system. Because there's not much to be bilked. The only real advantages to taking on many times the workload of a line pilot is spending slightly more nights in your own bed and having the occasional free meal. If anyone thinks that that is worth it, he's a moron. People do union work for other reasons. Not because it's such a great deal. Having done it, I think you would agree. Being a full time union volunteer is a crappy job.

I do agree though he should have found time to fly at least a 2 or 3 day trip once a month. Nothing helps union credibility more than pilots seeing their union officers in the trenches once and a while.

Those $40 million in yearly improvements (I think it was actually much higher, BTW ;) ) wouldn't have come to be if the people responsible for achieving them were more focused on appearances than on results.

The current Group B4 ALPA EVP and former MEC Vice Chair never sponged off our dues. He did a great job helping the AirTran pilots secure a new CBA with $40 million/yr in gains and a much improved reserve system (pilots in the top 100 now bid reserve if that tells you something).

While we disagree tremendously on SLI issues, I never saw him as a union slacker. There were individuals who milked the system as MEC and MEC Committee members, but he wasn't one of them.

I do agree though he should have found time to fly at least a 2 or 3 day trip once a month. Nothing helps union credibility more than pilots seeing their union officers in the trenches once and a while.

I never said he sponged off our dues. Do not put words in my mouth. I will agree that of the two, he was the only one that did anything. LH on the other hand was a different story. He needed to step up and provide leadership in his position but just hid behind his desk.

I also feel that flying one trip a month would've done wonders for their credibility with the line pilots. I know he disagrees but IMO he is wrong. When I was in the military, I had many COs that would hide behind their desks under the guise of "I can do better work for the squadron at my desk than wasting my time flying." Those guys were always ineffective since they did not have support of the troops. Those that got out and flew could get anything accomplished because they had support. In the end we got what we got because of ourselves...and those we elected to represent us.

Phred

Latest resources

Back