• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest increases it's hedges

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'd love to see some average Joe discover some alternative fuel that can be used in all jet engines, diesels, and regular cars. It would be even funnier if it was something simple, that's right under our noses, like garbage. Then when the whole world switches to that alternative fuel, that will put the big oil companies out of business...those dirty fukcers.

It won't happen...If someone figured it out, they would probably have him killled off before it got out into the public media. The oil companies contribute so much money to political campaigns that the governement wouldn't let it happen either.

I'm with you, It is rediculous that they are turning billions in proits, while there is a ton of people struggling to survive with gas this high

XR650R said:
This is an excerpt from Planebusiness.com:

On the hedging front, the airline said that it has increased its hedging positions. For 2006, the airline is now 70% hedged at $36/barrel; in 2007, the airline has 55% of its fuel needs hedged at $37 a barrel; for 2008, the airline now has 35% of its needs hedged at $37/barrel, and for 2009, the airline now has 30% of its needs hedged at $39 a barrel

Looking for a silver lining, I conclude that there are some smart, rich people out there who are betting that oil (heating oil) will come DOWN in each of the next four years. Remember, for SWA to buy, someone has to be willing to sell. At least I think that's the way this works.

If everybody KNEW that oil would stay up, no one would be willing to sell low priced future oil.

At least I can hope so:cool:

enigma

SWA is AWESOME!!!!

Cya

Midnight Flier...I'm in the same boat you are, believe me, thanks to fuel prices my airline is right on the brink. Add a dash of inept management (which we have in abundance) and we are very close to shutting the doors.

My question is why is everyone so down on the oil companies? I mean really, they have a product that they sell to consumers. I know it isn't as simple as boycotting their product and all, but in reality, if it was that hard on us we would find other means.

I'm not picking at you in any way. I am just tired of everyone blaming this on the oil industry and big business. If I were in their shoes I'd be charging you absolutely everything I could get out of you. If the times turn around and something happens that adversely affects me, say a big drilling project goes bust or whatever, I'm almost positive noone is going to come to the rescue of big oil. No, I'm positive no one is coming to the rescue!

We could all choose to bike to work, carpool, or even give up our SUVs if we wanted to. But honestly, how many of us have never pushed the throttles up just a little bit to make sure we got in in time to catch the early deadhead home? Problem is for me, I leave them throttles up all the way across the Pacific.....

Midnight Flyer said:
I'm not an accountant nor do I understand much about economics, but why are these huge oil companies able to get away with the price of their oil set so outrageously high.

Because when people like you and I go to the pump, we say %$(G $2.60/gal? That's %$(% rediculous, and then swipe our Visa and pump it into our suburban, hummer, or even hybrid.

The prices are high because we have no choice but to buy gas. Atleast right now. Purely electric cars won't come about until some infrastructure gets in place like plugs at the workplace to charge them for the drive home, etc. Until you can make a choice as to what you use, you have to use gas. And they can charge whatever people are willing to pay.

At what point will people simply say I'm not going to pay $xx/gal for gas, I'd rather walk to work or buy a golf cart? Who knows. We'll find out soon, I think.

~wheelsup

:) thanks dude.... its sinking in

?

How did SWA manage to enhance the fuel hedges? They swapped some short term for some longer term/duration hedges at a slightly higher amount? Is that right? Are there any hedges available for outright purchase below $50? If there is any sort of hedges available, airline management needs to zero in on them! My airline wants to instead make expensive investments in the regional carrier and the foriegn carrier and save some money for the day they can outright purchase some South American airline! They need to be "inspired" to fixate on fuel just like SWA!

On a side note: How is what is going on with fuel not translateable to the airline business? I mean, NWA had a bad day in DTW that was wx induced and almost immediately we had a passenger bill of rights! Why is Congress not pressing for a energy users bill of rights? Big oil would have you believe the wx is a determining factor in much of today's environment. Of course, I do know that the prevailing mentality in Washington is to keep these energy prices high, but why are we (this industry) not being more vocal on this issue?

bugchaser said:
If the market were to move in the right or wrong way, it is possible that SW could pay more for its fuel than an airline that has not hedged any of its fuel costs.

If Oil were to move in the opposite direction we would then just cash out the hedges and even make a profit at that.

Latest resources

Back