Southwest effect ending?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Will it happen @ LGA

He could be right. However, two key issues in the Southwest Effect are still alive. When we go to a new airport the prices of travel go down. Watch MSP. Secondly, the amount of passenger traffic increases.
I belive the Southwest Effect is alive and well, however he makes some good points.

Will that happen once SWA hits the ground at LGA?

I watched the communities around BUF, ISP and ALB welcomed SWA and its culture by using them and the prices were effected. Good thing too!!
Also watched Spirit leave ISP once SWA entered the market there.
If SWA is entering the NYC market via LGA will they ever fly into a place like ACY? One never knows.

Not me brother

Boy...some of the comments remind me of the rhetoric that come out of a political campaign.

For the record...I have flown into LGA and PHL in my past while flying for a "legacy" airline.

While both airports have more then their fair share of delays....given the chioce, I would rather fly into LGA then PHL.

sometimes its worse....sometimes it ain't. Just another airport.

And for those that wanna make the Rwy 31 Expy Visual a big deal....it ain't. No different than the circle to land to 22L at MDW or the Visual over the "mixmaster" to 13's at DAL....

Not me brother!! I use to bid around LGA due to the fact of the delays. I will agree some of the arrivals into LGA are more fun to fly then PHL. Great views, right?

FORBES put together a list this year to show the worst 20 airports with delays.

Here are the top ten:
10. Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minn.: Minneapolis St. Paul International
9. Atlanta, Ga.: Hartsfield-Jackson
8. Philadelphia, Pa.: Philadelphia International
7. Boston, Mass.: Logan International
6. San Francisco, Calif.: San Francisco International
5. Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas: Dallas/Ft. Worth International
4. New York, N.Y.: La Guardia
3. New York, N.Y.: Kennedy International
2. Newark, N.J.: Newark Liberty International
1. Chicago, Ill.: O'Hare

Some days it's great getting into any of these places and other days the dawg bits hard.
Cheers!!

Will that happen once SWA hits the ground at LGA?

With only 7 flights a day initially? I don't think so. If we establish more gates and slots, definetly.

MSP - The price of a roundtrip flight ot MdW has gone down nearly 30% for now.

CVG - is priced like MSP was. We'll go there next

CLT - after CVG.

With only 7 flights a day initially? I don't think so. If we establish more gates and slots, definetly.

MSP - The price of a roundtrip flight ot MdW has gone down nearly 30% for now.

CVG - is priced like MSP was. We'll go there next

CLT - after CVG.

You say this like falling ticket prices are a good thing. Are you guys not in contract negotiations?

You say this like falling ticket prices are a good thing. Are you guys not in contract negotiations?

the real 'southwest effect' is predicated on the fact that we make money at fare levels other carriers don't. we do keep fares a little low as we first enter a city to build some local brand awareness, but generally we price our tickets where we can make money. we're on track to make 600 million or so this year, not counting the crazy mark-to-market sfas 133 fuel hedge reporting. so, it isn't like we're underpricing our service. can you say the same about your airline? seems like many legacies have been using domestic as a loss leader to get international feed. I guess it is a business model, but not one that seems destined to succeed. the real question becomes what if SWA is no longer the low cost producers (different plane type, salaries get too high, etc) but we're not there yet.

so, ticket prices we'll charge in LGA will probably be below what is currently charged there but above what we require to make money, hence, the SWA effect.

the real 'southwest effect' is predicated on the fact that we make money at fare levels other carriers don't. we do keep fares a little low as we first enter a city to build some local brand awareness, but generally we price our tickets where we can make money. we're on track to make 600 million or so this year, not counting the crazy mark-to-market sfas 133 fuel hedge reporting. so, it isn't like we're underpricing our service. can you say the same about your airline? seems like many legacies have been using domestic as a loss leader to get international feed. I guess it is a business model, but not one that seems destined to succeed. the real question becomes what if SWA is no longer the low cost producers (different plane type, salaries get too high, etc) but we're not there yet.

so, ticket prices we'll charge in LGA will probably be below what is currently charged there but above what we require to make money, hence, the SWA effect.

What he said.

Plus, there's a thing called Price Elasticity. Sure we can jack our fares up to be like everyone else, but if our planes are empty where's that leave us? I also believe that we don't need to sacrifice our passengers pocketbook to up our wages. It's a delicate balance.

So I have a question for General Lee. Do you actually type "Bye Bye" every time? Seems kind of laborious to me.

-Goose

Yes, Yes I do.

Bye Bye--General Lee

MORON alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you should worry about your own airline, you stole the pensions of the retired pilots at DAL and now you are cutting international and domestic flights.
Everyone has been calling for the demise of SWA and guess what we are still here.

This definately owns you the title of ****************************** bag. I think you should take a look at history & facts, and realize what you are talking about before spouting things that are way over you head and obviously your thinking ablility.

Latest resources

Back