• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest currency requirement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If a pilot works for free they are removing a paid job from the aviation community. I have been on the wrong side of guys working for free to get current and get time in type. Trust me this is just as bad as scabbing. It's your short coming if you can't see this for what it is.
It appears you don't understand the discussion. Sitting side saddle in a single pilot Caravan or Beech whatever flying for free removes not one paid pilot position, yet it allows a pilot to keep current so he can get paid. Your shortcoming is not understanding the problem and how this simple solution harms no one yet provides benefit to the pilot in need of time. This isn't scabbing, this isn't working for free in a paid position. This is sitting in a "friends" aircraft and adding time in a logbook.

I would go fly gov contact in a king air before doing the cfi thing. I think you know what I am talking about.

The danger of doing that is you remove your chances of getting hired with FedEx or anyone else that has the requirement of having not left the country.

LUV,
I am retired Mil and current, got my 737 type from HP, (GI Bill), and flew with Navy flying club for fun, was hired by Airtran, SWA and Delta. In my Delta class there was a guy who was out of cockpit his last 3 years in mil and he was hired. Delta understands military.
Get your 737 type and put in your APP, start beating the bushes for Guard/Reserve , get a mil retirement for the check and Tricare.
Best of Luck

The danger of doing that is you remove your chances of getting hired with FedEx or anyone else that has the requirement of having not left the country.

Mmmmmmmmmmm, have a lot of friends at FedEx that left the motherland then got hired on with FedEx. Is this new?

Private multi time means nothing to SWA, they only count 121 or revenue operation time, and of course military time.

It appears you don't understand the discussion. Sitting side saddle in a single pilot Caravan or Beech whatever flying for free removes not one paid pilot position, yet it allows a pilot to keep current so he can get paid. Your shortcoming is not understanding the problem and how this simple solution harms no one yet provides benefit to the pilot in need of time. This isn't scabbing, this isn't working for free in a paid position. This is sitting in a "friends" aircraft and adding time in a logbook.

I understand quite well flying your friends airplane for fun. However according to your first message on this topic, the flying had to be 121/revenue flying. if you're going to change the requirements that is fine but I understood the discussion to be an applicant had to basically be employed. I have no idea what the hell "sitting side saddle" means? Is that a column in a log book I have yet to see. Does SWA require X amount of "side saddle" time?

Had the type and no time, and was in the SWA pool when I interviewed and was hired at FedEx, but that was 10 years ago. I doubt it will be an issue now either.

The contract with the USPS requires that you have resided in the US the past 5 years, not that you never left the county. Big difference. Go to APC and check out the cargo forum, plenty of discussions about that requirement and what it actually means, as far as maintaining a US residence while flying outside of the country.

Good luck.

FJ

I understand quite well flying your friends airplane for fun. However according to your first message on this topic, the flying had to be 121/revenue flying. if you're going to change the requirements that is fine but I understood the discussion to be an applicant had to basically be employed. I have no idea what the hell "sitting side saddle" means? Is that a column in a log book I have yet to see. Does SWA require X amount of "side saddle" time?

I'll spell it out in simpleton terms then: Friends have friends who could put you on the "payroll" at a smaller company to build time without actually paying you. Thats "paid time", 121, freight, etc. If you can't figure out side saddle, you really haven't paid attention.

Last edited:
I'll spell it out in simpleton terms then: Friends have friends who could put you on the "payroll" at a smaller company to build time without actually paying you. Thats "paid time", 121, freight, etc. If you can't figure out side saddle, you really haven't paid attention.

What you are suggesting is taking away a paid job, why not just put a guy on the "payroll" and actually pay him? What a novel idea? Here is why it is taking away a job, to actually log time you would have to go through training and pass a check ride. You can"t just be an untrained SIC and log time in a 121/135 operation. Also SIC time(i think this is what you mean by side saddle) in a caravan(single pilot airplane) as you mentioned earlier, I would imagine SWA or any other airline would see right through that smokescreen. Look I get it, you would help a guy out. But all the hoops that are needed to jump through are just the same as actually getting a job, so why not get said actual job. And they only leg up you would be offering is that you would work for free which for me is unacceptable. Have a good weekend!

I'm not suggesting anything of the sort, the pilot would sit in the seat that would have gone out empty.

You can log student time, that counts, because your student time at a 121 counts.

He is not working for free, he is learning a new aircraft, being paid in kind for being a monitor, trained, even better if the Friend is an instructor in the aircraft. Look, I don't want this to be a "take away a paying job gigg" just a keep the time current while expending the least resources. Sure any airline would see through that but would also note you stayed current in a complex aircraft. Take care.

Latest resources

Back