• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest currency requirement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Except that the two guys I know who didn't follow it didn't get hired. Did I say do it 24/7? All you need is 200hrs over I think it's two years, you can do that riding side saddle in a buddies caravan logging training time once month on weekends, keeping your day job.

Except that the two guys I know who didn't follow it didn't get hired. Did I say do it 24/7? All you need is 200hrs over I think it's two years, you can do that riding side saddle in a buddies caravan logging training time once month on weekends, keeping your day job.

doesn't matter. no one should ever work for free. the OP should go get a job that will have him as a legitimate crew member. just because he gets "current" doesn't mean he will get the job at SWA, all the while he lowered the bar and now has no self respect and poor ethics.

I have the hours but no ATP yet; I am thinking of just throwing down the cash and getting the type and ATP at HPA. Thanks for clarifying that CFI time and private multiengine time would not be helpful, that's hundreds of dollars saved right there. 18 months out of the cockpit is a long time and that will become two years this June. My window is short and I kind of need to act now by getting the type and applying. Also looking at other airline currency requirements. Has anyone had to explain why they had a 737 type with no time? And does anyone feel like they didn't get an offer from places like Delta, FedEx, Continental, Spirit, Jetblue, Hawaiian, etc. due to having a 737 type with no time in type? I see it as a sure sign where someone's dreams/goals are focused. Thanks all. Really appreciate the advice.

On the topic of a reserve job, yes absolutely. Can't let 15-16 years go to waste. A reserve retirement would be great. Absolutely better than "no retirement."

doesn't matter. no one should ever work for free. the OP should go get a job that will have him as a legitimate crew member. just because he gets "current" doesn't mean he will get the job at SWA, all the while he lowered the bar and now has no self respect and poor ethics.
And you would be wrong to think staying current by any means available is lowering the bar or somehow remotely related to ethics. This isn't crossing a picket line.

And does anyone feel like they didn't get an offer from places like Delta, FedEx, Continental, Spirit, Jetblue, Hawaiian, etc. due to having a 737 type with no time in type? I see it as a sure sign where someone's dreams/goals are focused.

Yes! I am firmly convinced that I did not get hired at JetBlue and Atlas (and it might have even been the reason at Virgin America) because I had the 737 type. Didn't get hired at SWA, either.

Yes! I am firmly convinced that I did not get hired at JetBlue and Atlas (and it might have even been the reason at Virgin America) because I had the 737 type. Didn't get hired at SWA, either.

So, your 737-type came as a surprise to those outfits during your interview???????

And you would be wrong to think staying current by any means available is lowering the bar or somehow remotely related to ethics. This isn't crossing a picket line.

If a pilot works for free they are removing a paid job from the aviation community. I have been on the wrong side of guys working for free to get current and get time in type. Trust me this is just as bad as scabbing. It's your short coming if you can't see this for what it is.

I personally know pilots hired at Jblue, AirTran, Atlas, and Virgin America that have a 737 type.

And does anyone feel like they didn't get an offer from places like Delta, FedEx, Continental, Spirit, Jetblue, Hawaiian, etc. due to having a 737 type with no time in type? I see it as a sure sign where someone's dreams/goals are focused.

It's a great question, one I wondered about when I was interviewing. I interviewed at AWA with a 737 type, and I think it came up. Boils down to how well you can convince them that you are just covering all of your bases, but really want to work for their airline due to X, Y, and Z.

Latest resources

Back