Southwest currency requirement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LUV FLYING

From the website:Experience must include active flying in two of the last five years.

The whole dod budget discussion has actually scared me into planning for a scenario of being let go at the 16-year point from the military. Might be prudent to get out now if I could get hired. Has anyone been interviewed recently at SWA while having a lengthy period of non-flying. Basically, had anyone been out of flying for three years with the most recent flying done during the 4th an 5th years ago. My guess is that would put someone at the bottom of the pile and probably not get the nod for an interview.

As of June 2012 I'll be at 15 years and out of the cockpit for 2 years. With no shortage of highly qualified people interested in SWA, I might be wasting my time putting in an app with 18 months out of flying and worst case spending money on private multi-engine time to get current again. Not sure if that Cessna time for example is of any interest to SWA. Appreciate any thoughts and advice on this.

Private multi time means nothing to SWA, they only count 121 or revenue operation time, and of course military time.

Awesome, exactly the info I needed. How does SWA look at CFI time? I wouldn't want to expend resources toward that if it wouldn't matter. Thanks.

I would go fly gov contact in a king air before doing the cfi thing. I think you know what I am talking about.

CFI is nothing. You need revenue time. Do anything and everything to stay current at someplace that pays you to move people or freight. Heck, do it for free even, but stay current (yes, I know if you do it for free your not getting paid but yes you are: flight time).

Currency? I think all we accept is the American Dollar. Volaris gets our pesos.

Based on who the People Dept are hiring, it would be a long shot. BUT, being prior military will help A LOT. Give it a shot.

If you didn't already meet the mins prior to your desk job, private multi or CFI won't help very much. If you were already over the mins and are just trying to maintain some currency, you definitely have a shot - especially if you are willing to take the risk and go get a 737 type. SWA has hired military guys coming off the staff in the past. Don't count yourself out too early.

A lot of our UAV guys have the same problem, and those that have airline ambitions are going with any guard/reserve unit that will hire them and get them current/building time. Might work for you, too. Pay would be way better than a regional as well. Other options you are considering seem like they won't get the job done.

Speaking as someone who got out after 14 yrs, I am very happy that I kept the reserve thing going. Got me through 2 furloughs, and next year I will earn my active duty retirement while still keeping a line number.

Latest resources

Back