• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Cockpit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In certain configurations, don't the A/T "jockey" the power up and down.
I also read where SWA as the launch customer for the -700 had Boeing program the glass in a round dial configuration. Don't know if they were the first or not.

densoo said:
Fighter pilots don't need them. It wastes time because it is just another layer standing between the pilot and the flying.

What the hell are you talking about? The B737 is not a fricken fighter, its an airline transport aircraft. But if you fly your pax around like its a fighter, more power to you.

The technology was designed and put there for a reason, why don't you learn to use it.

"Idiot"

Who's paying your bills?

densoo said:
Fighter pilots don't need them. It wastes time because it is just another layer standing between the pilot and the flying.

And Uncle Sam is paying for your gas as well. If the fighters had VNav you wouldn't have to tank as much and would save the taxpayers millions. That's why the military is not in the business of making money. They just burn through it as fast as they can. Kind of like a fighter.

Cheers!

NTS ALL 4 said:
And Uncle Sam is paying for your gas as well. If the fighters had VNav you wouldn't have to tank as much and would save the taxpayers millions. That's why the military is not in the business of making money. They just burn through it as fast as they can. Kind of like a fighter.

Cheers!

They do have VNAV, it's called a drone:

http://www.boeing.com/news/frontiers/archive/2005/february/i_tt.html

And thank God I'm retired...

boeing readily admits that there is no cost savings associated with using autothrottles. they have not a single study, paper anything which shows otherwise. hand flown throttles are also smoother in general. boeing mainly promotes AT as a safety item that helps the pilot but we at SWA feel that by not using it we improve safety by keeping the pilot "flying" the aircraft at all times and there is a cost associated with AT even if only for checks etc. VNAV is so integrated with AT that is a big reason we don't use the VNAV. we do have descent planning info in the FMC and use it with VS, CWS, Level Change etc. to help plan our descents.

our glass round dials do have "enhancements" that of course only glass could provide such as color changing and moving arcs, self bugging a/s, etc. plus we have a full moving map just like the tape display NG. it is truly sorta half and half and allows moving between classic and NG seemlessly while still enjoying many glass enhancements that the classics don't share.

the Morris deal was the start of the HUD but SWA came to see how great it was and now fully embraces the program for our IIIA approaches. the cost is less than autoland and again embraces the "automate but fly" attitude i think the pilot group has.

clearly moving forward SWA will likely embrace new ways (and some of you will tell us without a doubt it is already "old") of doing things but not before a full vetting of cost, safety, and a fit with the culture of SWA. what a great concept!

canyonblue737 said:
we have a full moving map just like the tape display NG.
Dude, I'm looking at your avatar and if that's a SWA display, which I think it is, you do NOT have a "full" moving map. It looks like barely half a moving map.

Keep telling yourself that making all of your fleet operate identical to a 1960s airplane (which you don't even have any more!) has some sort of higher moral meaning than simply being scared of change.

Do you suppose Boeing and Airbus have spent just a tiny bit of time on their automation and ergonomics since 1968? Or was the B737 -200 the best airplane ever made, no improvements could ever occur? And all of that work in the last 35 years that Boeing has done should be deactivated as new airplanes arrive in your hangar?

You guys are silly.

(But I gotta admit, your pay is pretty darn good I'm sure it makes drinking the "I hate automation" kool-aide a lot easier)

Last edited:
canyonblue737 said:
plus we have a full moving map just like the tape display NG.
Actually WE don't have a full map. We have about 2/3 of a full map. We have two instruments on that map display. The other one doesn't.

TR4A said:
Actually WE don't have a full map. We have about 2/3 of a full map. We have two instruments on that map display. The other one doesn't.
by "full" i meant it displays the same content and symblogy as the tape display NG aircraft. it just does it on a 2/3rd's width screen so the content is compressed. everything else is identical, ie. a 19 inch tv showing the same thing as a 23 inch tv.

radarlove said:
Dude, I'm looking at your avatar and if that's a SWA display, which I think it is, you do NOT have a "full" moving map. It looks like barely half a moving map.

Keep telling yourself that making all of your fleet operate identical to a 1960s airplane (which you don't even have any more!) has some sort of higher moral meaning than simply being scared of change.

Do you suppose Boeing and Airbus have spent just a tiny bit of time on their automation and ergonomics since 1968? Or was the B737 -200 the best airplane ever made, no improvements could ever occur? And all of that work in the last 35 years that Boeing has done should be deactivated as new airplanes arrive in your hangar?

You guys are silly.

(But I gotta admit, your pay is pretty darn good I'm sure it makes drinking the "I hate automation" kool-aide a lot easier)

Youre a funny guy.

Latest resources

Back